VOGONS

First post, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, i building my dream Pentium Pro machine which is in my signiture. I working on it for a month now, the last big project was to figuring out how the small and big floppy drives will work together on the same cable. And I did, in the morning was working the whole system great. Than I did some final adjustments, adding an extra system fan, adding a cd drive and I did cable mangement.
Gretat, I think, I accomplished some awesomness! However the computer not willing to start. Actually, kind of starting, because fans are spinning, but does not post picture. Ok..., I think no problem, already did it once before! Than I disconnected everything and at some point it started. Than I could re-connect everything and it was starting whenever I wanted. Now I did the same protocol, I disconnected every pheripherials and still not willing to give picture. Just fans are spinning... I even changed the CPU, Memory, VGA and still not starting... What else can I do with it to start?

My high end of '96 gaming machine;
Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 1 of 7, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No beeps? PC speaker (correctly) connected? Does the system sound like it's operating normally?

Check if:
- The mainboard is not shorting (touching the metal case in some way);
- Reset CMOS;
- Are you able to test with another screen?

YouTube

Reply 2 of 7, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, no beeps, but there is nothing like that connected which could give beeps. It is not operating normally, otherwise I would see, it is going until the boot process from the floppy drive.
I could connect another screen, but i guess not that is the case.
CMOS clear happened, at least if the battery removal was enough.
Shorting, I do not see any point where it could happen. Hope not dead the motherboard, because that is the most expensive part...

Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 3 of 7, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should hook up a PC speaker. Often the mainboard will give you beeps through the speaker which you then can look up to see what they mean. You have no status LEDs on your mainboard?

YouTube

Reply 4 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh, definitely get a speaker even a cheap Peizo will do.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-Motherboard- … aVG8b:rk:2:pf:0

Until you have a speaker hooked up to give you an error code you can strip everything back to CPU/Minimum ram, keyboard and slowly add 1 bit of hardware at a time

Reply 5 of 7, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the speaker did not say anything, just fluent noise. However finally today I've got it working again 😀)) The HDD cable was the guilty. When I removed it, fired it up...

Now installing Windows 95...

2z8ZUuI.jpg

More troubles are coming I guess, but at least at software side 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rawit wrote:

Good to read it's working again! Looks like a modern case you have there, got any pictures of your build?

Nope, it is not new case, but quite good looking one from the nineties. Onto the front, above the power button, will go also a Pentium Pro inside sticker.

ChKyUAv.jpg