VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What are good quality capacitor manufactures and models to use when repairing a motherboard ?
I want to do it right and use quality components so It will last ?

Mainly 100uf to 1500uf, 6v capacitors.

Attachments

• Capacitors.jpg
    Filename
    Capacitors.jpg
    File size
    106.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It depends.

I always recommend checking the capacitors being replaced for identifying info so the specs can then be looked up. Based on the specs, you can then find a best match from reputable cap manufacturers like United/Nippon Chemi, Nichicon, Rubycon, Panasonic, Suncon, etc.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 5, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also suggest using higher voltage specs, not 6V. I generally use at least the double of the voltage the cap is expected to be exposed to. If the cap is in a 5V circuit, I use 10V caps or above.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 5, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's also important (at least for a motherboard application) that they are low ESR (that means you pretty much automatically end up with polymer capacitors and not electrolytic ones like the original) and have the right dimensions (also the capacitor 'legs' need to have approximately the same amount of distance between them). An excellent capacitor is the Panasonic Oscon series.

Reply 4 of 5, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really depends on the motherboard/device you are fixing.

Normally you want to match the important specs and buy from a reputable capacitor brand.

But the OP has no details, so I can't really recommend anything.

Reply 5 of 5, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nichicon

Ride or die.

If a motherboard uses 6.3v caps, it likely is on the 5v rail. 16v caps are connected to the +12v.

Always TRY to get the same uF & voltage. It is possible that additional capacity can affect performance in SOME designs.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.