VOGONS

Asus P2B-DS dual CPU

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 44, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. Really need the 2nd CPU terminator card if you are running in 1 CPU mode.

2. Have to be matched set of CPUs and correct one that works with this motherboard. Cheaper to just purchase two matched set from any online like ebay, together or one by one.

Use any 4 wire fan for now, the pinout is same for power and tach rpm. The 4th pin not used is for PWM to control rpm speed, will run full speed to test by plugging in.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 42 of 44, by Cesora

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That build looks awesome! I do want to do that!

I should clarify, I do actually have the termination card, or a termination card Asus c-p2t pc100

I have cleaned up the board and now the errors that I got in the bios last year are gone (could have been from the bios update TBH).

I have installed 98se and put in a voodoo 3 and it all seems to work fine. I guess I'll look all over for a matching CPU then install 2000 or xp. Out of curiosity, what is the best cpu rev 1.03 of this board can take?

Reply 43 of 44, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2020-02-18, 12:59:
Baoran wrote on 2020-02-17, 10:39:

What you would you use such old dual slot server motherboard for? As some kind of linux server?
I have a gigabyte GA-6BXD with dual P3 450Mhz attached to it, but I have no idea what I would use such thing for personally. Would there be some retro use that a Windows NT 4.0 would be best suited for?

I'm facing same dilemma with my Abit BP6 (dual PPGA Celeron). It's not my highest priority, but I intend to run NT4 and OS/2 Warp4 SMP edition if I can find it. Oh, and BeOS. For the teapot 😉

As for applications - well, no game that would run on that hardware other than Quake 3 would actually use two CPUs, and that would run awfully. Also already have a Core i3 server on 24/7, so this would be nothing more than a curiosity.

Win 2000 as well as XP are very viable options for BP6 .. Especially with overclocked 366's @ 550 (can't wait to get my home office/lab up running - I have bought 4 400's hoping that 2 of them will run 600)

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 44 of 44, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-02-19, 08:32:

[...]

Win 2000 as well as XP are very viable options for BP6 .. Especially with overclocked 366's @ 550 (can't wait to get my home office/lab up running - I have bought 4 400's hoping that 2 of them will run 600)

Viable option, although XP would have to be unpatched, with SP3 it would utterly crawl. But either would work a lot better on a much faster machine. I've always preferred using older OSs, to prioritise speed over features. Doesn't always apply (if you have enough RAM, MacOS tends to get faster between versions, and Windows 7 is *definitely* faster than Vista), but in the 1990s it was a pretty solid assumption that older would be faster.