VOGONS

First post, by M4tthewd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I have an Amptron DX9700 rev. 3.2 motherboard, and it has a cache module. Or at least what appears to be and my cache stick fits but it does not work. Further investigation lead me to this page: http://th2chips.freeservers.com/m919/

Where it states the cache module is not a cache module and a cache module will not work. It doesn't state why though. Im just curious if anyone knows why and has come across similar things.

Reply 1 of 5, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is actually a PC-Chips M919 motherboard.
It uses a proprietery connector for the cache stick, and is absolutely not compatible with Pentium/socket 5/7 style COAST modules.

Unless your module looks something like this:

m919cache.jpg
Filename
m919cache.jpg
File size
637.66 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I would advise against using it.

If it does look like this, how did you confirm that it did not work?

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 2 of 5, by M4tthewd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Exactly like that? No the one I have I've attached a picture. When I installed it, the pc wouldnt boot or post at all. When I took it out it did. Repeated to make sure it was seated properly and same result.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 5, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
M4tthewd wrote:

Exactly like that? No the one I have I've attached a picture. When I installed it, the pc wouldnt boot or post at all. When I took it out it did. Repeated to make sure it was seated properly and same result.

That is a Pentium-generation COAST module.
You're lucky your board didn't go up in smoke with that installed as the pinout is completely incompatible.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3