VOGONS

First post, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone

So today I finally managed to work on a project with my GF

Please note this is just the configuration we mashed together to "bring it up"
We will be "upgrading" and picking parts carefully over the next few months.

It is based on GA-568VX Motherboard (3.37)
Pentium 150 CPU @ 180 Mhz Stable
32MB Single stick SD RAM
Sound Blaster 16 w/IDE pulled from Osborne 386 machine (another project)
Promise TX4-150 Sata adapter
8.6 GB Seagate IDE Hard drive (W98SE BOOT)
Samsung 128GB SATA SSD (Games storage)
Currently no working mouse (serial port seems flaky)
Diamond touch keyboard with windows keys
3.5 Floppy was replaced, old faulty......
512KB Paradise ISA Video card (No drivers - tried some from vogons no go.....seems like an odd card - To be replaced... my S3 card is faulty...)
4/8x Matsushita CD-RW drive (Works VERY well for this build!)

today we loaded win98se
I copied some games from my Library including some apps and we tested Bio Menace, Apogee space shooter from 1993 (Stryker?) and a few others. It works perfectly.
Service pack 3 and kernelEx is installing right now (Taking forever!)

Future plans
Install a cheap USB2.0 Card, so we can install 2 USB joysticks and play some games together (Anyone want to tell me some fun 2P Joystick games?)
Take all the parts out, clean it (Case as well - it has rust) or move it to another case
Ideally I want to put this build into a more modern case, as we want to do some perspex on one of our retro projects (doesn't have to be this one)
or we want to make this one unique with a paint job after clean with a bit of basic lighting.

Reply 1 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're overclocking the CPU anyway, why not set it to 166MHz (2.5x66) instead of 180 (3x60). In terms of performance the two should be very similar and I/O will be a lot better at 166MHz, and I'm always a bit suspicious of timing issues when running the PCI bus at anything other than 33MHz.

Reply 2 of 10, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there from Australia 😁

I had a very vague look at the motherboard today. It only seems to have dip switches for multiplier only, but not FSB Anywhere. I would also like to know how to run it at a faster bus or - later down the track drop in a nice MMX CPU but,the manual I saw (rev 3.34) doesnt seem to mention it anywhere. I wonder if there is a Pin level hack I can do with some mech/elec pencil etc.

Reply 3 of 10, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this GA-586AX as stated in topic or rather GA-586VX as in first post ?

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 4 of 10, by DeviousMalcontent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
epicbrad wrote:

Hey there from Australia 😁

Nice to see another local represent!

I just pulled my old GA - 586VX system (Rev 3.36), out of the cupboard today; I need to replace the RTC module on mine.

Did you have any trouble installing the SATA SSD or did you use an adapter or SATA card? – I've gone the compact flash to IDE route...

Reply 5 of 10, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used a promise fasttrak 150 4 port sata pci card. No issues installing windows 98 (I partitioned drive on my main pc first)
What cpu will you run?

Reply 6 of 10, by DeviousMalcontent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
epicbrad wrote:

What cpu will you run?

It's an Intel Pentium-S (I am not sure what the S denotes.) at 200mhz for Intel 430vx Chips.

BIOS is an Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG with a Plug and play extension 1.0A.

Reply 7 of 10, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just read that the board should be ae to handle a 233mmx... I wonder what cpu would perform best on the machine however. I also wonder if the 233mmx would overclock much....
I'm running a second ssd in mine now it stores over 100 dos games I grew up with. I'm going to install a sb128 (ensoniq because I like the 8mb wavetable sounds) and trying to find a better graphics card setup (not entirely needed, happy for it to just be a dosgames machine but have a few windows titles running smoothly)

Reply 8 of 10, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the PMMX possible clockrates seem to range from 250 to 300+.

All chips I tested made it to 250, most to 280, fewer 292 and even fewer 300+. I have only one running at 310(124 x 2.5) getting roasted at 3.2V BUT I only tested around 6 cpus.

Some users on here had a whole tray of cpus so their achieved clockrates should be more representative.