VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, I have an AT power supply that I need to replace the pins inside the two white plugs P8 and P9 as mine are old and corroded and some have broken off, im looking for replacements that I can cut the old ones off and crimp the wires to the new pins does someone know where I can buy new ones? I need 12 but I will buy more for future needs.

Reply 1 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some discussion in the thread below. The connectors and pins are a Molex part.
www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?1780 ... P8-and-P9)

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 6, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, parts are obsolete and no longer stocked. I got myself a few of the cheap, chinese ATX-AT adapters, and at least one of them will be sacrificed to repair an old AT PSU. Same problem as GabrielKnight123's - corrosion from a nasty battery that was quite near to the AT connector...

Reply 3 of 6, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
quicknick wrote:

Unfortunately, parts are obsolete and no longer stocked. I got myself a few of the cheap, chinese ATX-AT adapters, and at least one of them will be sacrificed to repair an old AT PSU. Same problem as GabrielKnight123's - corrosion from a nasty battery that was quite near to the AT connector...

+1, been there, done that. Finding those connectors is difficult. As for the motherboard connectors, I've seen them on ebay now and then but on the pricy side.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Who specified those XT/AT PSU connectors should be shot (IBM why? you are known as high quality maker but strange, why?). Very chummy design and cheap. Best fix is splice onto good PSU from new stock extension or ATX to AT adapter cable harnesses from ebay. Soldering and heat shrink tubings.

Cheers, pentiumspeed

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 6, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I went to my local Jaycar today and I bought 18 packs with 8 pins of these (see below) and they are a perfect match and they are rated as 7 amp instead of the ones you can buy from Alibaba at 5 amp plus at Alibaba you have to buy 1000 of them, mine cost about $20 though from the link below it does not have a picture of the pins only the case...but im stoked I found them

https://www.jaycar.com.au/8-pin-0-156-header- … -pitch/p/HM3438

Reply 6 of 6, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have finished doing the crimping and it was surprisingly easy but I cant stress enough that you need a good crimping tool one that has two different "levels" for the main crimp of wire and the insulated wire crimp there are plenty of YouTube videos that go into finer detail, I originally was going to solder them but I learnt soldering is not as good a connection and can break away over time. I'm now going over all my old power supplies and re-doing them. Here's a pic of the outcome.

01_zpsexnwajoi.jpg