VOGONS

First post, by supaplex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I decided to update BIOS on my Socket 7 motherboard with a hope of improving system stability. Unfortunately at the end of the update process error message popped out asking me to disable USB...
How can I go about reprogramming the chip now without booting motherboard?
How much would BIOS programmer cost and is it even worth the hassle?
Many thanks for any ideas!

http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/pcchips/M599LMR.htm

Reply 1 of 4, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
supaplex wrote:
Hello everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hello everyone,

I decided to update BIOS on my Socket 7 motherboard with a hope of improving system stability. Unfortunately at the end of the update process error message popped out asking me to disable USB...
How can I go about reprogramming the chip now without booting motherboard?
How much would BIOS programmer cost and is it even worth the hassle?
Many thanks for any ideas!

http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/pcchips/M599LMR.htm

Try hotflashing the BIOS chip.

This consists in finding another motherboard (not necessarily of the same CPU socket) that has a DIP32 BIOS chip and booting from a floppy to DOS, swapping the chips at the DOS prompt, then starting Uniflash 1.40 and flashing your BIOS file from there.

Worth the hassle? Depends on you. If you want it, you can go down the said route. If not, you can use it for parts.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 4, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If bootblock on flash chip is not broken you may try prepare floppy on another working computer.

format a: /s

Copy bios file and flashing tool on it, and create autoexec.bat with only one line:

flash.exe bios.bin

Turn on computer with floppy in the drive, and it should boot from this floppy (with screen turned off).

It will flash bios, and after reboot you should have working computer. Worth to try...

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 3 of 4, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or get a reasonably cheap programmer like TL866CS (or the newer version that is available now) - it's been immensely useful to me since I got it. Just last evening I quickly revived a MSI K7T Turbo2 that came with a corrupted BIOS...

Reply 4 of 4, by supaplex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for suggestions, I will go for the safest/easiest option and invest in EEPROM programmer then. I've heard good thing about TL866CS and purchase value doesn't exceed the value of the board I suppose!
Many thanks again!