VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone. I have a 512MB CF Card in my DOS PC via a standard IDE adapter and want to get one in my Windows 98 PC. I've got some IDE to CF adapters on the way from China of the same type that worked with no issues with my 386 PC.

My question is does it matter what type of card I get? I am going for 16GB which I feel gives me enough storage whilst also hopefully getting compatibility if I decide to reuse the card elsewhere (the BIOS on the PC I am using can 'see' up to 60GB HDDs). I can see some of these larger, newer cards have things like UMDA7 written on them. Do I need to avoid those and get slower, older cards?

The main reason I am going down this route is just for the fun / project of it.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 1, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote:

Hi everyone. I have a 512MB CF Card in my DOS PC via a standard IDE adapter and want to get one in my Windows 98 PC. I've got some IDE to CF adapters on the way from China of the same type that worked with no issues with my 386 PC.

My question is does it matter what type of card I get? I am going for 16GB which I feel gives me enough storage whilst also hopefully getting compatibility if I decide to reuse the card elsewhere (the BIOS on the PC I am using can 'see' up to 60GB HDDs). I can see some of these larger, newer cards have things like UMDA7 written on them. Do I need to avoid those and get slower, older cards?

The main reason I am going down this route is just for the fun / project of it.

I have used it on my Compaq lte 5000 series laptop running windows 95
sku_17834_2.jpg

I also used a SD to IDE adapter on my 486, everything worked perfectly.
I guess it should work fine.
I avoid using SD/CF on windows builds because of the paging file, lots of r/w will shorten the life of the card.