VOGONS

First post, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Kind of wondering about this. Trying to get myself going in that direction and would love to keep the cooling duct setup and see how well it performs with a nice quiet Noctua.

I'm wondering what it would require for a HSF on the P3's part though. Could I get a large passive for a socket 370, like they have on the Slot 1 cartridges?

I know most Slocket adapters have a reputation for not working with the retention brackets but has anyone ever attempted any makeshift solutions for this as well.

I mean if it came down to it I might decide to just buy a legit Slot 1, 1ghz P3 (found a source that sells them for like $100) but if I can get this one I'm looking at for cheap, then I'm willing to play around with it for a bit.

Reply 1 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was googling as couldn't remember the duct.
Turns out I'm missing mine and running my 1Ghz Slot 1 cpu fine

also turns out your not alone
Question about upgrading a Dell Dimension XPS T500 to Socket 370
maybe PM Oeuvre if he doesn't see this?

But would think your fine without the duct as long as the CPU doesn't get that hot and even if it does another strategic fan will probably be enough

Reply 2 of 4, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

is your 1Ghz actively cooled though? I mean is the rear case fan (sans duct) pulling air out, or do you have a CPU fan on the CPU HS ?

To clarify I was asking about running a CPU with a passive heatsink, relying on the duct to pull air out, much like my stock Pentium II 350Mhz that came with the machine (which P3/1Ghz is a far cry from).
If I could get away with it, I was aiming to use a 92mm Noctua that is relatively quiet, and use that for exhaust-duty. Also due to reasons this CPU is capped at 550Mhz anyway (for now..I hope)

Reply 3 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes, stock rear case fan extracting air. The CPU still has the stock heatsink/fan combo though.

I'm not sure I would trust just a passive with your setup. I'd want to increase the airflow over the heatsink. either with a fan mounted on or near the CPU.
running at 550 might be ok though.

Reply 4 of 4, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Should be fine without it as long as you have the exhaust fan and a fan on the heatsink. I did that for years on my old XPS T550 which I upgraded to a 1GHz Slot 1. I wish I still had that rig.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif