VOGONS

3dfx Voodoo Brands

Topic actions

First post, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys,

Soon I'll be looking to get a 3dfx Voodoo card for one of my systems.
Does it matter what brand I pick; Diamond, Magic3D, et cetera?
Are there any brands I need to stay away from?
I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon,

Sincerely,

Miko, Strahssis

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 1 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For Voodoo 2/3/4/5 cards? Not really. Only Banshee series had cards with really questionable quality.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 20, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks; that's all I need to know! 😉

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM

Reply 3 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Canopus's Voodoos had better host video passthrough with their own Total3D video cards and were smaller (and probably the most refined)

Creative's Voodoo2s had drivers with some exclusive (hacky) perks

Metabyte's Voodoos also had driver perks (WickedGL) that were exclusive for a while.

Diamond's Voodoos were the highest regarded of their performance and that they're Diamond

Obsidian's Voodoos were just professional market titans and were always considered unobtanium.

Banshee cards were (mostly) fine. Disregard the "no multi texture its obsolete" whinging as it's made for the more budget market and also helped 3dfx gain some more OEM foothold. It's the Rush cards that are trash

Voodoo3 marks the STB 3dfx deal where all cards since are STB produced only so it's all samey from here on out.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 20, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Metabyte cards were designed to be able to do SLI with any other voodoo 2 card (through drivers ... Which work on other voodoo 2 as well)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 20, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Strahssis wrote:
Hey guys, […]
Show full quote

Hey guys,

Soon I'll be looking to get a 3dfx Voodoo card for one of my systems.
Does it matter what brand I pick; Diamond, Magic3D, et cetera?
I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon,

Sincerely,

Miko, Strahssis

What card and what system?
I wouldn't recommend V1, V2 or Banshee for a modern system, they can easily overheat, make sure you install a fan blowing on the card if you must use it in a modern system.

leileilol wrote:

Voodoo3 marks the STB 3dfx deal where all cards since are STB produced only so it's all samey from here on out.

Not entirely true. There were a few "special" Voodoo3 cards made by Powercolor, Garnet, Sigma and probably others (in markets from Asia), I think that even Asus made some Voodoo3 cards.

Reply 6 of 20, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaverX wrote:

Not entirely true. There were a few "special" Voodoo3 cards made by Powercolor, Garnet, Sigma and probably others (in markets from Asia), I think that even Asus made some Voodoo3 cards.

Yes. Both of my Voodoo 3s are made by Powercolor — an AGP and a PCI version.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 7 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Diamond Voodoo 1 cards are my personal favorites of their ilk due to having solid state caps.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 20, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Powercolor made voodoo3 and voodoo4 also. But yes,any brand is fine.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 9 of 20, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RaverX wrote:

What card and what system?

A Voodoo I or II card for my AMD K6-2; I'm not intending to use it on anything modern. 😉
Thank you all for the information, I really appreciate it! 😀

Reply 10 of 20, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Voodoo2 is a nice match for K6-2. Any Vooodoo2 should work fine, try to get a 12 mb card (8 mb cards are more rare, anyway, so there's a good chance you'll find that). Voodoo1 might be too slow, unless you want to play only early 3d games (Quake, Tomb Raider, etc). But if you go for V1 it would be nice if you could get Canopus3D 6 MB, but beware - it has a custom vga cable.

Reply 11 of 20, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RaverX wrote:

Voodoo2 is a nice match for K6-2. Any Vooodoo2 should work fine, try to get a 12 mb card (8 mb cards are more rare, anyway, so there's a good chance you'll find that). Voodoo1 might be too slow, unless you want to play only early 3d games (Quake, Tomb Raider, etc). But if you go for V1 it would be nice if you could get Canopus3D 6 MB, but beware - it has a custom vga cable.

As many of you might have already assumed; the K6-build from my signature is an incomplete build; the build I put there is what I'm planning to build. Most parts are already on their way to my home, except for the Voodoo card. 😜

I've had a look today at the system requirements for many games from about 1996-1999 (I have my Pentium 4 for 1999 and up.) and it looks to me like a Voodoo 1 won't hold me back. Most often it seems like the 32 MB RAM and/or my K6-2/266 is the limiting factor. The reason that I'm leaning towards the Voodoo 1 is that I heard that the Voodoo 2 tends to overheat. Of course I can add heat sinks or a fan to the Voodoo 2, but that would increase the total cost by quiet a bit. Since there doesn't seem to be a point of that, why would I? 😕

I do not see as much documentation on the Voodoo 1 overheating and also I know there are some models from A-Trend and ColorMax out there that have heat sinks already installed onto them. I tend to go for the A-Trend one though, as I can hardly find any documentation on the ColorMax, so I have no idea whether that one is good or bad. 😕

I do like the capacitors on the Diamond Voodoo 1 however; it seems a lot easier to repair if it would fail at some point.
Please correct me on any wrong thoughts; I'm far from an expert on graphics cards this old as you might have noticed already! 😊

Reply 12 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Strahssis wrote:

The reason that I'm leaning towards the Voodoo 1 is that I heard that the Voodoo 2 tends to overheat

You've heard wrong. Voodoo 1 & 2 cards by no means run cool but they don't 'overheat' unless you pair them with very fast processors such as 1GHz+ parts. I have a V2 SLI system in my K6-2 400 PC and they run just fine without any passive cooling.

Reply 13 of 20, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Strahssis wrote:

I've had a look today at the system requirements for many games from about 1996-1999 (I have my Pentium 4 for 1999 and up.) and it looks to me like a Voodoo 1 won't hold me back. Most often it seems like the 32 MB RAM and/or my K6-2/266 is the limiting factor.

In early games -1997, and 1996 games (mostly were patched after release, V1 was launched late 96) - V1 will work fine, but in 1998 and (especially 1999) game it will hold you back. And it will hold you back hard. Of course it will run games, but playing Quake III and UT won't be a nice experience, even at 512x384 low details the framerate won't be great at all, in battles with a few bots I expect to go even bellow 10 fps. On ther other hand V2 in 800x600 at max details should offer a solid 40-60 fps, even on K6-2, I had V2 on a much slower Cyrix 233 and UT was very playable. V2 is roughly 3 times faster than V1 in games with multitexturing, sure, K6-2 will limit the card a little, but it will be much faster than V1.

V1 was a great card, but it wasn't as fast as some people might think. Yeah, when you went from software 2d cards to 3d Voodoo it was amazing. That's why a lot are thinking and even remembering that V1 was fast. But
3d hardware evolved very fast back then, and games evolved with the hardware. For Quake1, Forsaken, Motoracer, etc V1 is fine, go with it if you only want those kind of games. But not for Q3 and UT, trust me, it won't be an enjoyable experience, especially going back from today's hardware and games.

Strahssis wrote:

The reason that I'm leaning towards the Voodoo 1 is that I heard that the Voodoo 2 tends to overheat. Of course I can add heat sinks or a fan to the Voodoo 2, but that would increase the total cost by quiet a bit. Since there doesn't seem to be a point of that, why would I? 😕

I do not see as much documentation on the Voodoo 1 overheating and also I know there are some models from A-Trend and ColorMax out there that have heat sinks already installed onto them. I tend to go for the A-Trend one though, as I can hardly find any documentation on the ColorMax, so I have no idea whether that one is good or bad. 😕

V2, Banshee and even V3 will overheat, but on a modern cpu, it shouldn't overheat on a k6-2. V1 isn't a cool card, either, I'd say than on a K6-2 it will run hotter than a V2. A big 120 mm or 140 mm fan placed to blow air under the card will keep it cool, even a little airflow will have a huge impact on temperature. Heatsinks helps a little, but without airflow it won't help as much as you might think, I would go that route instead of searching a card with heatsink (or trying to attach heatsinks on other cards).

Reply 14 of 20, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you guys for the explanation; I appreciate it! I think I will go with a Diamond Monster II then, if I can find one for a reasonable price. 😀
One last question though; is the use of a fan required with my K-6/266?

Reply 15 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Strahssis wrote:

Thank you guys for the explanation; I appreciate it! I think I will go with a Diamond Monster II then, if I can find one for a reasonable price. 😀
One last question though; is the use of a fan required with my K-6/266?

Any Voodoo 2 will do, don't target a brand specifically.

A fanon your K6-2/266 is necessary unless you are using one of those larger copper based or full copper Socket A Athlon coolers.

Reply 16 of 20, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sorry, I put that really stupidly; of course I use a CPU-cooler with the K6-2. I will just use the stock cooler as I'm not planning to do any overclocking anyways. I will also put new thermal paste on there. 😊

Anyways, what I meant to say is whether I need to use a fan on the Voodoo II or not when using it in a K6-2/266 system? 😊

Reply 17 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh.. In that case no it is not required, I do not use one to blow on my SLI directly (two Voodoo 2s in SLI work cooler as they handle 80% of the pixel load of a single Voodoo 2 configuration per card barring cpu bottlenecks.. With a K6-2 bottleneck that number is closer to 50-60%) but I suppose it would not hurt..

Reply 18 of 20, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you, I found a PCI-fan for about €4,00, so I decided to just buy it; it wouldn't hurt to add one indeed. Do S3 Trio64s tend to overheat? In that case I might order another one. 😜

Reply 19 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Trio's are indestructible!
Its easy to get hung up on temps now we are used to everything running so hot, but if you think/look back at cases back then airflow wasn't even a consideration with ribbon cables everywhere and only extraction fan being the power supply.

It's not a bad idea to have a fan or 2 to help keep things cool now, but just remember its not necessary especially if your using a somewhat modern case with decent air flow