VOGONS

cant seem to install windows xp

Topic actions

First post, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FINALLY got a motherboard that works and was able to build the computer, now the issue is I cant seem to install windows xp. the windows goes throught the setup process and copys onto to the hard drive but when it restarts it it goes through the usual memory test but will go through set up again

motherboard is a P4845gdbl
I have the cd crive set to primary slave
I have the harddrive set to secondary master

what do I do ?

I now understand what people had to go through back then ide is a pain setting jumpers is a real pain god bless sata !

Reply 1 of 26, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You probably have the CD set as the primary boot device in the BIOS.

Either remove the CD from the drive after the initial install process completes, or change the BIOS setting so that it does not boot from the CD.

Reply 2 of 26, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tegrady wrote:

You probably have the CD set as the primary boot device in the BIOS.

Either remove the CD from the drive after the initial install process completes, or change the BIOS setting so that it does not boot from the CD.

I changed boot orders and it still wants to boot from cd doesnt even recognize that the drive has windows on it

this is extremally frustrating Ive set the jumpers on the drive to master device 0 and it still skips start up

Reply 3 of 26, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

whenever it start up it goes through a "verify dmi pool table" window I have never seen a motherboard do this, it wont let me skip disc startup I have to change boot menu options

I really hate this motherboard

Reply 4 of 26, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What?

Set the hard drive to primary master.
Set the CD drive to secondary master.

Half your problems will probably go away at that point.

Edit: Also run memtest86, make sure you don't have any bad memory.

Reply 5 of 26, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
canthearu wrote:
What? […]
Show full quote

What?

Set the hard drive to primary master.
Set the CD drive to secondary master.

Half your problems will probably go away at that point.

Edit: Also run memtest86, make sure you don't have any bad memory.

how do I set primary and secondaru master ? I'm new to this

Reply 6 of 26, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You choose what drives are primary and secondary by choosing what IDE headers you plug each cable into. So I would swap the 2 IDE cables on the motherboard only. That would move the hard drive to primary slave and the CD to secondary master .... half way there.

Then you will need to pull the hard drive out and look at the jumpers on the back of it. You will probably need to find a spare jumper, to bridge a couple of pins on back of it. Most hard drives document which pins enable master and slave modes, and you will need to follow that to change the drive from slave to master.

Reply 8 of 26, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elderago wrote:

got the cd drive to secondary slave and hard drive to primary master is that alright ?

That should work, but I usually go with the HD as Primary Master and the CD/DVD as Secondary Master. I would also recommend using the connector at the end of the IDE cable for Master drives, not the middle connector. Also, make sure the jumpers on the hard drive and CD/DVD are set to Master for this config to work.

Also, did you take the CD out of the drive? If not, do that and try booting again.

Reply 9 of 26, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tegrady wrote:
elderago wrote:

got the cd drive to secondary slave and hard drive to primary master is that alright ?

That should work, but I usually go with the HD as Primary Master and the CD/DVD as Secondary Master. I would also recommend using the connector at the end of the IDE cable for Master drives, not the middle connector. Also, make sure the jumpers on the hard drive and CD/DVD are set to Master for this config to work.

Also, did you take the CD out of the drive? If not, do that and try booting again.

I did that it tries to load from the hard drive and cd drive and I still get a disk boot failure after setting up windows

Last edited by elderago on 2018-10-31, 02:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 26, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now the IDE configuration is mostly correct, next step would be to run DBAN, single pass wipe on the hard drive. This deletes EVERYTHING from the hard drive, so make sure these is nothing you need to save on the drive before you do this.

This ensures there is no MBR or old boot sectors to confuse the bootup process or windows setup. Then let the windows install start from scratch again.

Reply 11 of 26, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
canthearu wrote:

Now the IDE configuration is mostly correct, next step would be to run DBAN, single pass wipe on the hard drive. This deletes EVERYTHING from the hard drive, so make sure these is nothing you need to save on the drive before you do this.

This ensures there is no MBR or old boot sectors to confuse the bootup process or windows setup. Then let the windows install start from scratch again.

how do i do that ?

Reply 13 of 26, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
canthearu wrote:

google search DBAN, download the CD, burn it and then run it.

any other options ? I dont have any cds at home

nevermind I guess Ill have to but some cd-r and pull out the old cd/dvd drive that I never use

Reply 14 of 26, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elderago wrote:
canthearu wrote:

google search DBAN, download the CD, burn it and then run it.

any other options ? I dont have any cds at home

nevermind I guess Ill have to but some cd-r and pull out the old cd/dvd drive that I never use

If you are getting into retro hardware, having blank disks and CDs and a way to use them is pretty vital.

That said, there is no obvious reason why windows XP would fail to boot your system, the motherboard is new enough that it would understand large IDE hard drives, Windows XP would have been pretty much everywhere during it's life, and you are using IDE drives that come with default windows XP drivers.

So we need to look at more non-obvious stuff.

Reply 15 of 26, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the cd is from dell I cant find the orignal xp cd
I am using a drive pulled from my dell dimension 4550 so it may be an issue of master boot record, although the drive worked when I installed it, the issue was that it got to the screen saying I needed to put a key in and it froze couldn't use my keyboard or mouse. I decided to do a fresh install

Reply 16 of 26, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elderago wrote:

the cd is from dell I cant find the orignal xp cd
I am using a drive pulled from my dell dimension 4550 so it may be an issue of master boot record, although the drive worked when I installed it, the issue was that it got to the screen saying I needed to put a key in and it froze couldn't use my keyboard or mouse. I decided to do a fresh install

I'm pretty sure that you have the Dell OEM version of Windows XP. I believe that these copies of Windows check to verify that you are trying to install it on a Dell and not another brand of computer. This may be why it locks up when it asks for the license key.

As others have said, I would reformat the hard drive, then get a CD/DVD burner (they are cheap) and burn a non-OEM version of Windows XP, then try to install again.

Reply 17 of 26, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it doesnt lock up it wont even boot to the windows screen it just runs setup and thats it.

I'll try deaban and if I get the windows locking issue guess Ill hasve to order another xp copy as I cant find mine

Reply 19 of 26, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let's get back to basics.

For IDE devices, there are normally two "Channels" Primary and Secondary. These are two separate connectors on your motherboard. Each of those has a Master and a Slave drive, which is set by jumper. By convention, The connector at the end of the cable is for the Master device, and the connector in the middle is for the Slave.

The following link is for your motherboard and explains what to do. I recommend that you have the Hard Drive as the Primary Master, and the CD Drive as Secondary Master.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/396696/Jetw … ?page=17#manual

I agree that you should absolutely not be using an OEM release of Windows. There are loads of good downloads available. You should also reset your BIOS settings to default, and then change only what you need, such as Boot Order.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build