Reply 20 of 26, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fitzpatr wrote:
Let's get back to basics. […]
Show full quote

Let's get back to basics.

For IDE devices, there are normally two "Channels" Primary and Secondary. These are two separate connectors on your motherboard. Each of those has a Master and a Slave drive, which is set by jumper. By convention, The connector at the end of the cable is for the Master device, and the connector in the middle is for the Slave.

The following link is for your motherboard and explains what to do. I recommend that you have the Hard Drive as the Primary Master, and the CD Drive as Secondary Master.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/396696/Jetw … ?page=17#manual

I agree that you should absolutely not be using an OEM release of Windows. There are loads of good downloads available. You should also reset your BIOS settings to default, and then change only what you need, such as Boot Order.

okey I got it it set to harddrive primay master and cd drive secondary master
I bought some cd-r off of amazon yesterday they will arrive tomorrow, I will have a freind burn a copy of dban and windows xp (know any free isos ?)

in the future Ill get a cd burner its rather inconveniant that most modern cases dont have 5.25 bays

Reply 21 of 26, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes it is unfortunate that it is becoming more and more difficult to get a case with any front bays. External drives are an option!

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 22 of 26, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elderago wrote:

in the future Ill get a cd burner its rather inconveniant that most modern cases dont have 5.25 bays

I just recently rebuilt my 2010 gaming rig in a brand new case and it has an internal 5.25" drive bay. In fact, it has two. AND it still has space inside for a 360-radiator on top.

https://www.thermaltake.com/Chassis/Mid_Tower … tion/design.htm

Admins, this is a link to Thermaltake's own webpage for this case, not a store site. I will note that I got mine from Newegg.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 23 of 26, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FFXIhealer wrote:
I just recently rebuilt my 2010 gaming rig in a brand new case and it has an internal 5.25" drive bay. In fact, it has two. AN […]
Show full quote
elderago wrote:

I just recently rebuilt my 2010 gaming rig in a brand new case and it has an internal 5.25" drive bay. In fact, it has two. AND it still has space inside for a 360-radiator on top.

https://www.thermaltake.com/Chassis/Mid_Tower … tion/design.htm

Admins, this is a link to Thermaltake's own webpage for this case, not a store site. I will note that I got mine from Newegg.

my current case is a define r4 but I am going to be replacing the computer with a ryzen2600x once Ive saved up

I want to get a define r6 but it is really expensive and the meshify c lacks 5.25 bays

this actually looks like a good case thanks for the suggestion !

edit: also its light and thank god my define r4 is about 40 pounds makes moving it a real chore

Reply 25 of 26, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How large is the hard drive?
Does the BIOS detect the size properly?
Does Disc Parted say the XP partition is bootable?
How large is the XP partition?
Have you tried using a small XP partition of 30gb or so?

Is your copy of XP an early version without any Service Packs?

Have you tried putting both CD drive and hard drive on the same IDE controller, one as master and one as slave? If the motherboard were working properly it shouldn't matter, but I've had a motherboard that could only detect one IDE controller at a time.

Reply 26 of 26, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
skitters wrote:
How large is the hard drive? Does the BIOS detect the size properly? Does Disc Parted say the XP partition is bootable? How larg […]
Show full quote

How large is the hard drive?
Does the BIOS detect the size properly?
Does Disc Parted say the XP partition is bootable?
How large is the XP partition?
Have you tried using a small XP partition of 30gb or so?

Is your copy of XP an early version without any Service Packs?

Have you tried putting both CD drive and hard drive on the same IDE controller, one as master and one as slave? If the motherboard were working properly it shouldn't matter, but I've had a motherboard that could only detect one IDE controller at a time.

60gb hard drive
the bios detects the harddrive
didnt check disc parted about the xp being bootable
windows xp service pack 3I;; try putting the cd and as slave and hardrive as master, but its going to have to wait its midterms week