VOGONS

First post, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I decided to restore my 486DX2 computer, by getting new case for it, and replacing an old barrel battery on its board with coin one.
I desolder it, but now I'm not sure, which way I should solder it back? Does it matter? If I solder it the way it is on the picture, will that be ok?

(the yellow one is a replacement one)

Please help 🙁

https://imgur.com/a/FuNkEAR

Reply 1 of 8, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does your motherboard have an external battery connector, much better to do that. Most old motherboards do ... would be much better than soldering in a battery that will also go flat.

Failing that, you may be best served installing a socket along with a diode to prevent recharging.

Also I'd clean the corrosion of the parts near the battery. Get some white vinegar and clean it ALL off, then rinse the area liberally in water and bake in the oven at 70C for a few hours to dry properly.

Reply 2 of 8, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think LIR2032 is a rechargeable coin cell, so a direct replacement. And yes please clean the corrosion.
Can't really tell from the photo which lead is positive on your new battery, you must identify it and it goes toward the keyboard connector.

Reply 4 of 8, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Niezgodka wrote:

Is there a chance to figure it out with volt meter? I can't see any markings on it.

with ohmmeter yes.
measure the resistance between the chassis and the contacts.
This battery pin on the motherboard which goes to chassis, must be the battery minus.

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 5 of 8, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at some pictures of LIR2032 I think the side that has the writing on it is the positive, so you must rotate it 180 degrees compared to what you posted. Of course you can figure it out with a voltmeter, if you measure it "backwards", positive to negative, the reading will have a big - (negative sign) before the voltage, e.g. -3.2V

Reply 7 of 8, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
quicknick wrote:

Looking at some pictures of LIR2032 I think the side that has the writing on it is the positive, so you must rotate it 180 degrees compared to what you posted. Of course you can figure it out with a voltmeter, if you measure it "backwards", positive to negative, the reading will have a big - (negative sign) before the voltage, e.g. -3.2V

Just like you said - it works. Thank you a million!

Reply 8 of 8, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was going to add that in most cases the negative side to anything usually is tied to ground as well. Not always of course if the battery or component is between other components, but frequently the negative is ground. So using a meter you can tone/bell/ping the terminal connections on the mother board and find out which is Ground. In his case it was all clearly marked on the mother board and he just needed to know where + was on his replacement.

I would have gone a step further as well and actually installed a coin cell battery holder to allow easier change outs in the future. I do this with most anything I have that uses batteries. Even my NES, SNES, Genesis, etc game cartridges I install battery holders. Did the same with my MT-200 modules as well.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20