VOGONS

First post, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was recently googling Voodoo cards and for some reason, every time I come across mention of the Banshee, its talked about as if its some unclean thing that you shouldn't even be seen in public with.

What I don't see is why. All I've seen is vagueness about it not being as good as the Voodoo 3 (which, yeah, a card that came out prior is normally not as good as one that came out later). And yet even that is contradictory as I've also heard it basically is a Voodoo 3.

So what really is the deal with the Banshee? Why do people dislike it? Are there significant compatibility issues, or is this one of those "it was considered lame when it was new but for a retro build things may be different" kinda deals?

On that note here's a hypothetical: If you were hunting for a Voodoo, could only find V2s, V3s, and Banshees, and yet the V2s and 3s were always $60 but you found a working banshee for $30... is the card so bad that such a price difference would still not make it worth it, or are its flaws exaggerated?

Thanks in advance, I just wish I could find more definite info.

Reply 1 of 9, by Damaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have nothing bad to say about them personally - my first real 3D accelerator was a Voodoo Banshee. The main issue with them is that the 3D part is a stripped down Voodoo 2 (missing one of the texture units), so the card didn't perform as well as a standard Voodoo 2 did. Having built in 2D and not needing a passthrough cable was nice though.

Reply 2 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's more related to the Voodoo Graphics than the Voodoo2. It was pretty much a Voodoo Rush done right (and with lots more memory to boot, so there's a less texture thrashing advantage over the voodoo2 at least). The V3 built upon the Banshee, and V4 / V5 are part of the same lineage.

Banshee's not terrible. It just doesn't make the more fanatic of the 3dfx fans overconfident over the lower clock and not-yet-implemented multitexturing dismissing it as "the uber shit grafik !!! Get VooDoo 2" not grasping the context for its existence whle revising history to overstate its alleged obsolence. It's a fair budget/OEM card and i'd rather much have it over a Rage Pro, Vantas and any S3 Trio3Ds...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They were stupid (me included). The Banshee is a great Voodoo 2 class hardware. Single texturing vs higher clockspeed was a fine compromise, it is a wonderful gpu for K6-2/P2 class hardware.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 9, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Banshee's not terrible. It just doesn't make the more fanatic of the 3dfx fans overconfident over the lower clock and not-yet-implemented multitexturing dismissing it as "the uber shit grafik !!! Get VooDoo 2" not grasping the context for its existence whle revising history to overstate its alleged obsolence. It's a fair budget/OEM card and i'd rather much have it over a Rage Pro, Vantas and any S3 Trio3Ds...

Well said as usual. However, Banshee had higher clock. Vantas were good deal as well ...

Reply 6 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

for me it came too soon after I finally had a V2 and it didn't feel like a significant bump, so I'd rather waited... (and waited and waited and finally got a V5)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

for me it came too soon after I finally had a V2 and it didn't feel like a significant bump, so I'd rather waited... (and waited and waited and finally got a V5)

It was never an upgrade path to the Voodoo2 anyway, it was meant to be a budget card for Slot-1 gamers; it competed with the TNT and was a better deal in almost every way.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 9, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like my banshee, it is the only working 3dfx card I now have, cost me next to nothing (I exchanged it for two chocolate bars 😊 ) and yeah it is a PCI version from Creative. Crisp 2D picture, good compatibility, working glide. No need to hassle with more cards and cables, takes up less space in an AT case = perfect combination for my socket7 setup.

Reply 9 of 9, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

It was never an updgrade path to the Voodoo2 anyway, it was meant to be a budget card for Slot-1 gamers; it competed with the TNT and was a better deal in almost every way.

I agree 100%. But maybe there were gamers that had a V2 and they "upgraded" to Banshee, only to see that it was slower in some games. Back then there wasn't so easy to find reviews, on the "internet" you could find only a few places that reviewed hardware, plus that not a lot of people had easy access to the internet. Printed magazines was another way, but they weren't so reliable, a lot they would get paid to write favorable reviews about products.

So I guess people were pissed off by the performance, maybe they were expecting to see a huge performance increase, not a performance decrease. Remember, just a few month ago, when V2 was launched it was almost 3 times faster than V1, so probably some thought that Banshee would also be much faster.

Banshee was a good card, it supported high resolution, it had solid 2d performance and awesome 2d features and quality, the price was very competitive. But it wasn't the huge step forward that most were expecting. And the trend continued, V3 was basically only a V2 on steroids or a proper Banshee 😀

Meanwhile Nvidia pushed forward with TNT2 (32 MB RAM and much faster than TNT1), Geforce (T&L), Geforce2, etc. Damn, I feel sad again, I'm starting to agree with Linus (Torvalds, not Sebastian).