VOGONS

First post, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so my motherboard jetway P4945gdb socket 478 is an oddball instead of allowing you to cancel or load from cd it just ignore/doesnt recognize windows xp on it I have the ide set to primary master harddrive and secondary master cd drive but it boots directly to the cd after windows is done with setup this is frankly driving me nuts.
Ive thought about getting a new motherboard but that would be expensive. plus I didnt tighten the standoffs on the chassis enough resulting in the inability to remove two of the screws.

this has been an extremelly frustrating experiance I really wish I had just stuck with the dell 4550 but that is limited to 1 gb of ram ugh....

HELP PLEASE !!

p.s I am experianced with building computers just not with really old hardware we all make mistakes right ?

been trying to install windows xp onto the dell 4550 and I think the power supply is dying the computer keeps shutting off when loading up set up.

Reply 2 of 3, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if that motherboard has it (it should be new enough to), but by holding a certain key (usually ESC, F9, or F12 depending on the board maker) while the BIOS POST screen is displayed on startup, you should reach a "boot menu" where you can choose specifically the first device to boot from. If you're able to reach this menu and you select your HDD, what happens?

Reply 3 of 3, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:

I don't know if that motherboard has it (it should be new enough to), but by holding a certain key (usually ESC, F9, or F12 depending on the board maker) while the BIOS POST screen is displayed on startup, you should reach a "boot menu" where you can choose specifically the first device to boot from. If you're able to reach this menu and you select your HDD, what happens?

manual says nothing about a boot menu

I think I just bought a shit motherboard