VOGONS

First post, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys,

I recently bought a ATI Radeon X300 SE for like €3,50, but it doesn't seem to work. The image is distorted and vertical rainbow bars are shown across the screen, the text and images are perfectly identifiable though. I used the following setups to test the card; all different to verify that the card itself is the issue:

-Intel Core i5 4460 in a ASUS H81M-C
-AMD FX8350 in a ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0
-AMD Athlon II X2 255 in a ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0

In all setups the result exactly was the same. I used the VGA-output of the card as that is the only output I'm able to use at home.
I've been trying to fix the issue with the following simple steps:

-Cleaning the contacts of the PCIe connector with Alcohol Ketonatus 96%
-Cleaning the VGA-out with Alcohol Ketonatus 96%
-Replacing the very old thermal pad with new thermal paste
-Properly mounting the heat sink on the chip; one plastic mounting thingy was missing, so I replaced that in a creative way

So far these minor fixes haven't made a difference. I noticed that the bottom of the SMD-capacitors are somewhat separated from the top shell, I don't know much about SMD-capacitors, but it didn't look very healthy to me. But even if the capacitors are bad, then it still shouldn't result in an issue like this, or does it? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

The seller already refunded my money, but even though I'm happy about that, I'd still like to fix the card and use it. If you guys have any ideas, please tell me! I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon,

Sincerely,

Miko, Strahssis

2018-11-05 20.03.52.jpg
Filename
2018-11-05 20.03.52.jpg
File size
901.21 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2018-11-05 20.03.57.jpg
Filename
2018-11-05 20.03.57.jpg
File size
857.82 KiB
Views
File license

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 1 of 12, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone please? 😊

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM

Reply 2 of 12, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since the card is essentially working ...you have nothing to lose by replacing all the surface mount aluminium capacitors ..
They are known to be troublesome over time in any application.
A photo of the actual card might yield some clues..
These are more difficult to replace than standard through hole capacitors ..but can often be replaced with conventional soldering irons...
that said ..you may need to use hot air..
key to either method is good quality flux and lots of it ..
you might also find chipquik is your friend here..
good luck
rgds
VS

Reply 3 of 12, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank your for your reply! I made some pictures of the graphics card. I'm sorry for the bad image quality; my camera isn't very good. Please note that the black underneath the silver capacitors is not their shade; it's actually the black bottom of the capacitors. 😢

I will at least replace those three capacitors then later this week. 😀

2018-11-06 15.28.50.jpg
Filename
2018-11-06 15.28.50.jpg
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license
2018-11-06 15.29.08.jpg
Filename
2018-11-06 15.29.08.jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license
2018-11-06 15.29.46.jpg
Filename
2018-11-06 15.29.46.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license
2018-11-06 15.34.02.jpg
Filename
2018-11-06 15.34.02.jpg
File size
1.63 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 4 of 12, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh yes indeed ..
assuming you have not lifted these caps ..and it has occurred naturally due to internal expansion of the electrolyte..
Then yes ..these tilted caps are prime suspects..

Reply 5 of 12, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've ran into this same problem with old ATI cards, mainly 9-series. I replaced the caps, but it didn't work. I even tried to reheat the GPU chip as I was sure the problem was with it starting to lose contact with the board, but that didn't help either so I ended up scrapping those cards. I hope you fair better.

Reply 6 of 12, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vipersan wrote:

Oh yes indeed ..
assuming you have not lifted these caps ..and it has occurred naturally due to internal expansion of the electrolyte..
Then yes ..these tilted caps are prime suspects..

I bought the card like this; I didn't lift or bend anything, so it's safe to say that the capacitors are a problem. I will go ahead and replace the capacitors on the card on Wednesday or Thursday. Thank you for your help; I really appreciate it! 😀

sf78 wrote:

I've ran into this same problem with old ATI cards, mainly 9-series. I replaced the caps, but it didn't work. I even tried to reheat the GPU chip as I was sure the problem was with it starting to lose contact with the board, but that didn't help either so I ended up scrapping those cards. I hope you fair better.

I really hope that's not the problem; let's see what changing the capacitors will do! 😊

Reply 7 of 12, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Replacing the capacitors didn't help; I'm still getting the same distorted screen with rainbow bars. I'm kinda thinking that my problem is similar to the problem sf78 has been experiencing. In fact the ATI Radeon X300 is parallel to the Radeon 9000 series, so it would make sense there occur similar problems with these cards. 😢

Reply 8 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just curious, but why do you want to use that particular card? I believe the X300 SE is the slowest PCI-Express card ever made and ATi cards aren't known for having the best compatibility overall. A Geforce 6200 is much faster and would offer better compatibility in many things. You could even get a Geforce FX (or an FX based Quadro) on PCI-E for very cheap and it would have great performance (up to ~2003) and excellent compatibility all the way back to DOS games.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 9 of 12, by The Sandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The card itself looks like a dumper find. If you really want it, you can try to bake the naked card with the cooler removed in a stove for 10mins at about 110 degrees celcius. According to the pics I guess that the RAM-Modules got desolderd partly or have very poor conctact to the PCB due to heat problems. But be aware: even if you succeed, the card wont last very long after that.

Reply 10 of 12, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Just curious, but why do you want to use that particular card? I believe the X300 SE is the slowest PCI-Express card ever made and ATi cards aren't known for having the best compatibility overall. A Geforce 6200 is much faster and would offer better compatibility in many things. You could even get a Geforce FX (or an FX based Quadro) on PCI-E for very cheap and it would have great performance (up to ~2003) and excellent compatibility all the way back to DOS games.

I usually stick with ATI cards, because in my personal experience, I've always had driver issues with NVIDIA cards, while I've yet to experience my first ATI driver issue. There are two reasons I want to restore this particular card. Firstly, why wouldn't I restore it and keep it as a spare part, if I can? Secondly, I might use this card in a business machine, where in it should do just fine. 😀

The Sandman wrote:

The card itself looks like a dumper find. If you really want it, you can try to bake the naked card with the cooler removed in a stove for 10mins at about 110 degrees celcius. According to the pics I guess that the RAM-Modules got desolderd partly or have very poor conctact to the PCB due to heat problems. But be aware: even if you succeed, the card wont last very long after that.

I will try that later on, thank you. I guess I do not have much to lose, but won't the capacitors pop when exposed to such temperatures? 😕

Reply 11 of 12, by The Sandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The caps shouldn't pop as long as you stay as low as 110°C. Remember to clean the oven afterwards 😉

In this guide they even recommend 220°C, which is kinda risky imho. Try the lower temperature first.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Temporarily+Repa … in+an+oven/2240

Reply 12 of 12, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Sandman wrote:

The caps shouldn't pop as long as you stay as low as 110°C. Remember to clean the oven afterwards 😉

In this guide they even recommend 220°C, which is kinda risky imho. Try the lower temperature first.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Temporarily+Repa … in+an+oven/2240

Thank you, I will give it a try later on! 😀