VOGONS

Psu help

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it is a top mounted case the psu fan faces the inside of the case. No problem as long as you have s good exhaust fan.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 21 of 24, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK if the seasonic psu if turned up side for top mount case then the power switch would facing the outside of case and the fan would be facing downwards toward the mobo and cpu fan and cooler

Reply 22 of 24, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The HD4650, according to the table in Wikipedia, is only 48W TDP, 68W for the Pentium - could probably use one of the FSP 300W units (ebay) that tend to have very strong 12V capability - I got a FSP300-60GHN a while back, there are a couple of similar models that may be different, but that one could deliver 288W on the 12V - something which even some cheap "500W" can't do!

The "big fan" is the modern style, and it would usually face down - in the bottom of a "PSU LOW" case, there is a filtered intake, so the PSU fan can be slower and quieter as it breathes from outside

Reply 23 of 24, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To answer the original question, how do you tell a system that needs lots of 5V power from a system that needs lots of 12V power? Simple. Does your motherboard have this:

CPU Power Socket.jpg
Filename
CPU Power Socket.jpg
File size
475.09 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

See that extra 8-pin CPU Power socket on the bottom right? That's an extra 12V power delivery rail specifically for the CPU. If it has even the 4-pin version of that, then yeah, the system draws heavily from the 12V rail. That includes everything Pentium 4 and later on Intel's side and just about everything that came after the AMD Athlon XP line (although there ARE a few late-term motherboards for Socket 462 [Socket A] that were designed to use the 12V rail to power the CPU instead of the 5V rail and come with a 4-pin CPU Power Header like this, but they're very rare!).

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 24 of 24, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok my mobo i am using for this XP build has the 4 pin version

the mobo i will be using for my win98se build does not have anything like that

got the seasonic 550w psu for the XP build and so far everything seems fine and fit in top mounted case no issues