VOGONS

First post, by SubZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys,

I am currently sitting with two retro builds, but I am considering merging into one, to make things easier. Specs as following:

Pc 1:
Chaintech 6BTA3 Slot 1, Intel 440BX
Pentium 2 333MHz (unlocked = downclockable to 133MHz)
384MB RAM
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4520
32GB SSD (IDE to S-ATA adapter)

Pc 2:
QDI Advance 10T Socket 370, VIA 694T
Pentium 4 Tualatin S 1400MHz (Equivalent to 386DX25 with caches disabled)
512MB RAM
Geforce 4 Ti 4400
Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4500 (for DOS)
Sound Blaster Audigy 1 (for Windows)
60GB SSD (IDE to S-ATA adapter)

I have yet to find a game that is not working properly on the faster system, except the lack of glide support. However I have just started to explore. For that reason I am considering to ditch the slower system, and instead maybe get a Voodoo 2 card for the faster one. I am not noticing any issues with the QDI motherboard despite the "unreliable" VIA chipset.

What are your thoughts. Anything you would have changed? Are there any noteworthy titles that would work properly on the slower system but not the faster one?

Reply 1 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your Tualatin might be able to run nGlide at good speed. Faster CPUs can even outperform real hardware.

You could potentially convert your BX machine over to a VIA C3 equipped slowdown box which would be better at handling titles that want 486 speeds.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Socket 370 tends to eclipse Slot 1, and if you really want Glide on that platform you can just add a Voodoo 2 or SLI configuration to it; So you probably want to keep a Socket 3 or Socket 7 companion to your Socket 370 rather than a Slot-1 PC.

But the real answer to your question is "At least Five." Congratulations, you have been set on the path to madness all of us have trodden in the past, you will end up hoarding dozens of PCs, so One or Two is pretty much an insignificant choice at the moment.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 7, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SubZero wrote:
Hi Guys, […]
Show full quote

Hi Guys,

Pc 1:
Chaintech 6BTA3 Slot 1, Intel 440BX
Pentium 2 333MHz (unlocked = downclockable to 133MHz)
384MB RAM
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4520
32GB SSD (IDE to S-ATA adapter)

Pc 2:
QDI Advance 10T Socket 370, VIA 694T
Pentium 4 Tualatin S 1400MHz (Equivalent to 386DX25 with caches disabled)
512MB RAM
Geforce 4 Ti 4400
Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4500 (for DOS)
Sound Blaster Audigy 1 (for Windows)
60GB SSD (IDE to S-ATA adapter)

Your socket 370 machine is almost same as what I have, except Voodoo 2 SLI, which would eliminate your "except the lack of glide support" concerns. It all comes down to your personal preferences (which games you would like to play, etc.) but personally, I don't think pairing a PII and PIII is a good idea, even if you want to have two systems, anyway.

If you decided to have a single machine and you have no "too-much-more-than-enough-speed" issues with your choice of retro software/games, I'll go with the second one and add some sort of Voodoo in it (Voodoo 2 would be the choice of course).

If you decide to have two systems on the other hand, make the second one a Pentium/Pentium MMX at most (my choice also), or maybe even a 486.

And don't take the "crazy people" here seriously. 🤣 If your retro interests does not focus on tinkering with old hardware but you just want to play some games and run some software (i.e. if you only want some practical retro builds that you can actually regularly use), 2 or 3 is the magic number, in my opinion.

PS: I have 9 at the moment though, I'm one of these "crazy people" unfortunatelly 😊
PS2: But only 3 of them at a time are active and being used regularly 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 4 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is a list of games with speed issues and what the game works well with.
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … sensitive_games

but you have really answered your own question, if all your games run fine then you can drop the P2 if nglide runs your glide games

I've got 1/2 dozen machines because I enjoy having a 486, Glide box, super fast Win9x gaming, etc, etc. and don't like down clocking (Its cheating in my book)
95% of my games run fine on my P3 600 Slot 1 and still have 1 game (Hi Octane) that runs too fast on a P3 but too slow on my 486, so your always going to have a game or 2 that just refuse to run on whatever you decide on.

Reply 5 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even if you don't keep full systems, you can keep around parts that might be interesting in the future. That BX motherboard might be interesting, for instance, depending on how much expansion it has and what the VRM can do.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 7, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would keep both, but I have too many already, so... Tualatin system is great, add a V2 (or better - V2 SLI) and it should be an excelent DOS, Windows 95/98 and even Windows XP machine. But keep the main components from the older system (motherboard, cpu, videocard, soundcard), sell them only if you *really* need the money or some free space (they shouldn't take too much space, unless you live in a very small room.

Reply 7 of 7, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try a glide wrapper.. they are good enough and your system is fast enough to easily do it. I prefer it over messing with voodoo 2's

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801