VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,
The other day I picked up a Diamond Monster 3DII Voodoo2 card from a local shop, I connect it via the short VGA pass through cable that I ordered from eBay, to my Diamond Viper 550 2D card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112614555503

s-l1600.jpg

When I turn the system on (Win98SE, Abit BH-6, PIII-800E) I get video signal and everything seem to be fine, but when I run a 3D games (Quake, Quake II) and choose the 3Dfx drivers, all I get is a gray screen.
The only way to exit is Alt-Tab, and even then the resolution is messed up, so I have to reset the whole system.

If memory serves me right, back in the day, when I had Righteous 3D cards, they would make a very satisfying *click* when they switched to 3D mode, this one does not do it.

For the drivers, I have downloaded both the official Diamond Monster 3DII driver CD, and the last official 3Dfx reference drivers from Vogons, but I get the same result.

Any help is appreciated!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 2, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo 2 won't make the click, there are no relays on them. Even with the click that is no guarantee, I have a non-functioning Orchid Righteous that clicks, but gives no output 🙁

To eliminate the video cable as a problem, have you tried connecting the monitor directly to the V2 card when it switches over?

Reply 2 of 2, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JidaiGeki wrote:

To eliminate the video cable as a problem, have you tried connecting the monitor directly to the V2 card when it switches over?

No, I have not! I will give it a try.

UPDATE
for some reason it works now! I didn'y even have to re-connect cables, it just switches to the Voodoo2.

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)