VOGONS

First post, by Armand Karlsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good ambidextrous and/or left-handed gameport joystick for Windows 98 and DOS? I'm a leftie and right-handed joysticks really don't agree with me 😜

I remember having a Saitek Cyborg 2000 back in the day (and a Cyborg 3D, but that was USB) and liking the customisation, but also (I think) remember some issues with "zero drift" over time, and with the deadzone/jitter; either that, or the intervening 20 years are playing tricks on my memory 😵 .

Reply 1 of 1, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CH Products made the Flightstick Pro, which had 3 buttons and a hat.
CH Products also made the GameStick, which has a very skinny handle and a light touch. There was a "3D" version with "twist rudder" that came in both gameport and USB models. There was also a 14 button model that only came with gameport and did not have a "twist rudder" version. And there was the plain 4-button and hat model without "twist rudder" that came in both USB and gameport versions.

The Saitek Cyborg 2000 is (in my opinion) the best for ergonomics.
But as you said, they tend to wear out within a year or so with frequent use.

Some games apparently work in Windows 98 with the Thrustmaster T.16000m like the one in Phil's video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GydwlB5Q8zY

The T.16000m has the advantage of having Hall sensors, and doesn't need calibration, but it is a USB joystick and unless there is some sort of USB-to-gameport adapter I don't know about, I don't think it would work in DOS mode.