VOGONS

First post, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this is like voodoo magic for me, not the 3dfx voodoo magic

If i put many old cdrom drives horizontally, either the tray wont open on some models, or if he tray does open...the drive never reads the disk.

If i put the same drives, with the face facing up some degrees...the drives all of them start to read the disk

the tray not opening is because of the O-ring that needs to be replaced. but we can get along with it inserting a paper clip.. that is fine, but how come the drive never reads the disk if the drive is set on a flat surface ...i have no clue

lectora.jpg

Reply 1 of 2, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm no CD-ROM drive technician, but if drive starts to read discs reliably only when tilted in certain angle, it means that either the laser assembly mechanism or CD-ROM motor axle is worn out, most of the time simple re-lubrication does fix the problem.

If tray refuses to open, it's because friction in tray mechanism is too high or, in some cases, belt is too loose/greasy.

Reply 2 of 2, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not my specialty, but I've worked on my own drives. Try with the cover off. Does the spindle latch in and the optical sled move into proper position while horizontal.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder