VOGONS

First post, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I'm having a really annoying issue. I'm trying to use a USB floppy disk drive on my Windows 10 laptop to copy files to my IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 and mid 90s ACER Pentium machine (the Pentium is less of of an issue as you can transfer stuff by CD-R). Any floppy I write on the USB floppy drive cannot be read on either the model 30 or Pentium machine, but the USB drive reads anything it has formatted just fine. Both the Model 30 and Pentium machines have 1.44MB drives, not 720K or anything. Both drives are working, and read floppies with MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 on them that I bought from eBay.
I'm pretty stumped by this. The floppies are readable, the drives work, and files stay on there. Problem is they ONLY will work on Windows 10 with the USB floppy drive!! I've tried researching this a bit, by find very little. As far as I can find the standard format Windows 10 does SHOULD work on both older machines!!

Any ideas??

Reply 1 of 17, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you sure the floppy's themselves are in good working order? I once had a few bad floppy's; it looked like they worked fine on Windows 7, but I actually wasn't able to open & write files to them. In my older machines these floppy's wouldn't show any signs of life at all! 😒

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 2 of 17, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, they're fine. I can copy files to and from the floppies fine on Windows 10. No errors whatsoever. I can also write to the floppies on the Pentium machine if I format the floppies on that machine. As far as I can tell all floppies and drives are fine.
I should also of mentioned any floppy formatted on any other machine is unreadable by the USB floppy drive, and it always wants to format it!

Reply 3 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds to me like the alignment of the heads in the USB floppy drive are not the same as the regular floppy drives.

The older Dell laptop floppy drive modules are also able to be used as USB drives. I've got quite a few and they always seem to work fine.

My main USB floppy is a 2x speed one that formats/writes to disks that are able to be read by older machines.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 17, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Sounds to me like the alignment of the heads in the USB floppy drive are not the same as the regular floppy drives.

The older Dell laptop floppy drive modules are also able to be used as USB drives. I've got quite a few and they always seem to work fine.

My main USB floppy is a 2x speed one that formats/writes to disks that are able to be read by older machines.

What make/model is your USB floppy drive? I ordered an older looking HP USB floppy drive to see if that works. The one I have is a cheap, generic one off eBay.

Reply 5 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is:
SmartDisk FDUSB-TM2

It is sorta wonky on Windows 10 though... Sometimes it will not work unless it is plugged in before I boot up my computer.
It also has weird issues with disk imaging software in that if I don't open the disk first and then close explorer, the imaging software will think it is open somewhere else.

But it does work just fine.

But really any should work as long as it isn't faulty.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 17, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
realnc wrote:

The drive is broken, I'd say. If it can't read any floppies other than the ones it formatted itself, then you have a damaged drive in your hands.

Or he has some stupid third-party floppy writing utility installed that writes in a proprietary format.

Reply 8 of 17, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
realnc wrote:

If it can't read any floppies other than the ones it formatted itself, then you have a damaged drive in your hands.

Or he has some stupid third-party floppy writing utility installed that writes in a proprietary format.

Doesn't explain why it can't read existing floppies though.

Reply 9 of 17, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

This is what i'm thinking-- it's so badly out of alignment it can only read its own diskettes. However, I'm not clear on what happens when it's a commercially-prepared diskette. If it's having trouble with those, then that about clinches it as a severe misalignment.

I've used an automotive feeler gauge set to align a VIC-1541 diskette drive, but I'm not sure if that's possible on a 3.5" diskette drive, or that particular one.

Reply 10 of 17, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To send files to your 286, why not installing a nic in it and send files through the network. No more file size limitations, faster, etc ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 11 of 17, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:

To send files to your 286, why not installing a nic in it and send files through the network. No more file size limitations, faster, etc ...

I already have installed a NIC in there. But I need to get a TCP DOS driver (and possibly card driver. Windows 3.11 supports the card outta the box, but I doubt DOS 6.22 will( on there to use it) So it's catch 22!!

Reply 12 of 17, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yawetaG wrote:
realnc wrote:

The drive is broken, I'd say. If it can't read any floppies other than the ones it formatted itself, then you have a damaged drive in your hands.

Nope, the built in Windows format utility. The same one you use for SD cards & USB drives.

Reply 13 of 17, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlaricD wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

This is what i'm thinking-- it's so badly out of alignment it can only read its own diskettes. However, I'm not clear on what happens when it's a commercially-prepared diskette. If it's having trouble with those, then that about clinches it as a severe misalignment.

I've used an automotive feeler gauge set to align a VIC-1541 diskette drive, but I'm not sure if that's possible on a 3.5" diskette drive, or that particular one.

This could well be it. The Model 30 is saying "sector not found". yet it will still read the eBay MS-DOS 6,22 & Windows 3.11 disks. The USB floppy will also read its own formatted floppies. It's obviously borked,

Reply 15 of 17, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are adapters that allow you to connect a proper floppy drive via USB, so you don't have to deal with the head alignment garbage of strictly USB floppy drives. Perhaps seek one of those out, and use a proper drive with your desktop? My primary desktop's motherboard was one of the last to still have a floppy header on the motherboard, but only supports one drive at a time, EITHER 3.5" or 5.25", and a reboot is required to change between types.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 17 of 17, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Turns out it WAS the cheap generic eBay floppy drive. I got the HP USB floppy drive today, and floppies written on that are read fine by the Model 30!!

Thanks for the help!! 😀