VOGONS

486 OC and cooling.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have done screws between heatsink fins in the past but in this heatsink there is so much space between fins that is not possible. There isn't really any holes or anything like that to connect cable ties to. I ordered a heatsink and a fan from ebay that hopefully might work, but the seller has been marked as "away", so it is going to be probably a month before I have that.

Reply 21 of 28, by stecdose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is not needed, that the fan is mounted directly on top of the heatsink. I did exactly the same like you with my 486DX4 - running at 133MHz, it gets painfully hot. I placed a power-supply-fan about 10cm next to the heatsink blowing against the heatsink. It works perfectly, also this power supply fan is very quiet compared to those tiny fast-spinning cpu-fans.

I used cable-ties to fix the fan against the IDE cable and the hard drive cage. Some rubber-like glue ("pattex" here in germany) will also do. Hot glue will break because of the rotation and small movement the fan makes.

//edit: about spinning:
if the fan is twice as big, it may spin at half speed for same airflow.

Reply 22 of 28, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it gets painfully hot

"Painfully hot" starts around high 50s/low 60s Celsius, which is absolutely normal temperature for a silicon chip. From my experience, moderately sized heatsink is enough for 100-133mhz 486 and I had zero problems with stability on my AMD 5x86 ADZ with just passive cooling.

In fact even Intel think so too:
S_Intel-DX4ODP100.jpg

But if you want to push 160+ mhz - that's another thing.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 23 of 28, by stecdose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm I should have chosen a real measurement, as 50 degrees is pain to one, but not to the other.
I just checked with an IR thermometer and without the power-supply-fan. I switched off after 2 minutes reaching 90 degrees. This is what I meant by painfully hot.

//edit: 2 different CPUs cant be compared in terms of heatsink required or not. My AMD5x86 is also running fine with a heatsink similiar to your photo. But the overclocked DX4 needs a fan, no way without.

Reply 24 of 28, by stecdose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my AM5x86-133. It's heatsink is just 5mm in height. The other dimensions are same size as the CPU. It is enough for the stock 133MHz CPU. But it will never be enough for a intel DX4-100 running at 133.

Attachments

• IMG_20181125_003822.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20181125_003822.jpg
    File size
    393.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 26 of 28, by stecdose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is not the same. It is totally different design. It just behaves like the other.

//edit: It's like an emulator. If you got VICE you havent got a real C64.

Last edited by stecdose on 2018-11-25, 00:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 28, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To begin with, Intel DX4 was never mentioned and they can't be overclocked that high due to bigger lithography. At least not all and without any voltage increase.

Am5x86 is the 486 16kb cache CPU with a 4x multiplier and 350nm lithography.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 28 of 28, by stecdose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

To begin with, Intel DX4 was never mentioned and they can't be overclocked that high due to bigger lithography. At least not all and without any voltage increase.

Am5x86 is the 486 16kb cache CPU with a 4x multiplier and 350nm lithography.

I think some will run fine, as there are 3.3V and 3.45V versions. Mine is a 3.45V 100MHz DX4. I had to increase to 3.55V to get it stable. I replaced a single resistor of the adjustable voltage regulator on mainboard.