VOGONS

PCI questions

Topic actions

First post, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a motherboard here (from a Netserver e800) that has two of the long 64-bit PCI slots (5V signalling) but which run at 33 MHz

It this PCI or PCI-X? Because from what I can see, the PCI-X specification is only defined for 66 MHz and up.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 1 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

33MHz 64b PCI is just that: 33MHz 64b PCI. PCI-X is both faster and 3.3V only. Not that the distinction PCI vs PCI-X is too relevant, it works exactly as any other PCI bus would at those speeds.

Reply 2 of 7, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Right, the long 64-bit connector - that everybody just calls the "PCI-X connector" - in fact long predates the PCI-X specification (1998), and instead goes back to PCI 1.0 in 1992.

When did computers start to appear that used it?

I see that there is such a thing as 32-bit 66 MHz PCI as well. Has anyone seen one of these slots?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 4 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

Right, the long 64-bit connector - that everybody just calls the "PCI-X connector" - in fact long predates the PCI-X specification (1998), and instead goes back to PCI 1.0 in 1992.

When did computers start to appear that used it?

Iirc some more high-end Pentium Pro chipsets, so ~1996, although some Alpha systems also started using them around this time.

I see that there is such a thing as 32-bit 66 MHz PCI as well. Has anyone seen one of these slots?

Check the last pre-AGP Apple systems.

Reply 5 of 7, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

IIRC the nForce2 chipset supported 66 MHz 32-bit slots, because I remember hunting down a 32-bit 66 MHz capable gigabit ethernet card for it, and was very happy when Linux reported the card running at 66 MHz. There are usually some restrictions, such as a few slots share the same bus, so inserting a 33 MHz card will force all cards on the bus to drop back to 33 MHz (even those that support 66 MHz) but for some reason I don't remember having this issue with the nForce2 board.