VOGONS

First post, by GadgetBlues

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an Intel 486 with a "docking" floppy bay that has only a 34-pin connector, and the manual specifies a Teac floppy drive. I read the PDF manuals for the Teac FD-235G & H and they are very unclear as to whether they accept power over 34-pin, which I believe is the same as "media sense"? Anyhow, anybody know what drive model will work?

I guess it doesn't have to be Teac but it does have to have the connector in the very bottom right of the back of the drive, and must be beige with the eject button in the same spot as a Teac since it pokes through a hole in the front of the case.

thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry, I have no idea. Maybe others do and are so kind to reply.

If everything fails, you perhaps can try to measure the pins with a multimeter somehow
in order to find out which lines do cary power. Anyway, be careful doing so. It's just meant as a a last resort.

If my mind was clearer now (no headaches and trouble concentrating), I perhaps could give better advices.
Just so much- if you're going the measuring route, try to use a passive analogue voltmeter to figure things out.
They are less likely to harm anything. Modern multimeters use 9v voltage for measurement, which might be to much for some chips.

That being said, I have no real idea how to help with this issue.
Just wanted to reply something so you don't feel like standing alone in the rain so much. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pics of the docking bay and connector for the floppy?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 7, by GadgetBlues

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Pics of the docking bay and connector for the floppy?

It's literally just a 34-pin female floppy connector on a PCB at the back of a drive bay.

There apparently is a standard for this sort of thing as "Enhanced 34-Pin Floppy Header", referenced here http://ohlandl.ipv7.net/floppy/Floppy_Pinouts.html under "34-pin Header Interface, Media Sense". I just can't figure out what model(s) of Teac drives use this interface.

Reply 4 of 7, by GadgetBlues

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aha - I just found this Teac floppy drive flyer from the year my PC was produced - https://hxc2001.com/download/datasheet/floppy … D-235_flyer.pdf

It says "Another option: A type in which the power source connector is installed within the interface connector is also available."

But it DOESN'T state how that model number was marked, grrrrr!

Reply 5 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sadly, this is a problem I've had with TEAC floppy drives in the past (was looking for a replacement 3.5" for my combo floppy drive) - they have dozens of different sub-models covering the main model numbers and it's very difficult to identify / source the right one even when you're replacing an existing drive (which I assume you're not). Additionally, some of the differing sub-models would appear to be exactly the same drive.

As far as the FD-235 series goes, the list at the bottom of this page may give you a sense of the problem 😲

http://www.datex-dsm.com/floppy-emulator.html

It might be best to contact TEAC Support directly for advice.

Reply 6 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just opened up an IBM PS/2 55 SX and spotted a 3.5" drive with 34p cable but no separate power. That might be what you need...

IBM P/N is 72X6112, and this particular drive is an Alps DFP723D30A

Now, I can't find either of those on eBay right now, but they do seem to pop up occasionally. Hope this helps you a bit.