VOGONS

First post, by Mismatch2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello and thanks for clicking here to read my lillte post... I have had this long unanswered question which is why I have come here for your help.

Basically, lets say you have eight PC's set-up and all running Windows 95 / 98.. Each PC has a specific config...

PC 1 - Pentium 200mhz cpu and a Voodoo 2 12 mb gfx... running Win 95
PC 2 - Pentium 2 slot 1 233mhz cpu and a Voodoo 1 gfx... #
PC 2 - Pentium 2 slot 1 350mhz cpu and a TNT (riva TNT) gfx... #
PC 4 - Pentium 2 slot 1 300mhz cpu and a Voodoo 2 8mb gfx... #
PC 5 - Pentium 2 slot 1 300mhz cpu and SLI Voodoo 2 8mb gfx's... #

PC 6 - has an AMD K6-2 550mhz cpu and a Voodoo 3 gfx....running Win 98
PC 7 - has a Pentium III 800mhz cpu and a TNT2 gfx... #
PC 7 - has a AMD Athlon 1400mhz cpu and geforce 2 GTS gfx... #

They all have a 10 /100 base NIC card and all are conect to a switch via CAT 5 / 5a cable...

So, the question is would any one of the above PC's have and advantage over the other/ s when, for example playing Quake 2?

Hope this was clear and look forward to hearing from you... 🤣 😵

"you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains,however improbable, must be the truth?"

Reply 1 of 3, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Computers with Faster CPU’s, more ram and better graphics would have the advantage.
As long as you are running at 100-base-t the network should not be a problem.

I remember playing Quake on a gigabit lan with Unix computers and PC’s and the PC’s held up okay.

Reply 2 of 3, by Mismatch2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, great, so in an ideal LAN party all PC's should be config spec the same... I was curious if the network speed would adjust everybody to the same playing field... cool at least I can rule out the Win 98 machines.. and see about building up another Two PII slot 1s... just need to finf the Voodoo 2 cards...

What type of UNIX machines did you run? and on what O/S?

cheers for your prompt reply...

"you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains,however improbable, must be the truth?"