VOGONS

First post, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've purchased an old AT desktop PC that i want for a build. It came with a 486 system already in there, which i've started removing. Yet to decide what i'm doing with all the bits.

However the CPU in that 486 system was an evergreen chip. I'd like to know what it is, and also find out what i need to know with regards to compatibility on other systems.

The only markings i can see on it are "G1 Rev I" and "Copyright 1996"

I believed these things were supposed to have onboard voltage regulators, but oddly this one has a 5v/3v jumper thats not populated at all.

I have a Dell 486 that i would like to try this chip in. The dell has very little by way of jumpers or settings though.

Reply 2 of 10, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of the old overdrive-type chips? Those were usually Pentium clone replacements. Never handled one, only saw them in magazines, and didn't get a computer until well after the market for them dried up and died.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 3 of 10, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeh its a 486 Upgrade Chip.

I took a punt and stuck it in my LS486E with the board configured for a normal Intel DX2, and it POSTed fine and displayed it as a AMD 5x86 P75

So i figured i'd try it in the Dell, and it appears to work 😀 The Dell BIOS seems to get a bit confused, and suggests its an Intel DX4-100, but running a diagnostic program under DOS shows it running at 133mhz

Will need to get some benchmarks sorted out and see if the Dell is actually running it well. Its fan is very noisey, so i'll need to see if i can oil it up or replace it worst case.

Reply 4 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my LS486E, it shows any cpu as amd 5x86 P75 if the multiplier pin has been configured to 4x and 33Mhz bus. If you change the multiplier pin jumper to 3x, it will probably show it as dx4 100Mhz. So the post display shows what cpu motherboard has been configured to and it doesn't recognize what cpu is actually there.

Reply 5 of 10, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I left the board configured to a standard Intel 486DX2 (voltages, multiplier, bus etc etc) as i wanted to see what it would do as a drop in replacement for a DX2 (which came from the Dell).

I literally just pulled the DX2 out and dropped the Evergreen in.

It showed the AMD chip as above.

Reply 7 of 10, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had one of these in my old Epson 486. 133mhz overdrive type. Made a huge difference playing civilization ii back in the day.wish I still had that pc.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 9 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aragorn wrote:
Baoran wrote:

What revision of ls486e you are using?

Revision F

I think it is JP10 that controls the multiplier with that motherboard and there should be no jumper there when cpu is set to dx2 or dx4.

Reply 10 of 10, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the Lvl1 cache work in WB or WT mode?
The Kingston Turbo chip, which is also an AMD 133, only works in WT mode on the LS486E... also the multiplier is fixed at 4x.

Could you post a picture of your chip?