VOGONS

First post, by GadgetBlues

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just set up my new SCSI2SD v6 and can’t get it working.

First thing I did was flash the firmware from 6.1.4 to 6.2.1, before doing any functional testing.

Symptom: When I first fire up scsi2sd-util, the log shows firmware version 6.2.1 and the SD card size in blocks. However, 1 second later it shows firmware version 0 and SD card size 0, and then it repeats that readout every 1 second continuously scrolling the log window (the registers are different each time). If I try to save settings to the card, I get “Save failed”.

I have tried 6 different SD cards with different sizes/manufacturers (Sony, SanDisk, Lexar, Samsung from 1GB to 32GB), multiple USB cables, and I’m connected directly to the motherboard on a Z370 Windows 10 machine. I’ve also tried doing things in different order, such as connecting the scsi2sd first and then inserting the card.

Any ideas? I've mailed the developer but who knows how long he takes to reply.

Reply 1 of 1, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can relay the experience I had with a SCSI2SD v6 card. After receiving the item, which came with a 16 GB SD card configured to 2 GB, nothing would display on the SCSI host card. I tried different host adapters, Adaptec 2940U2W, 1520B, 1540, etc. The SCSI2SD just would not appear on the SCSI scan. I then left the USB cable connected to the SCSI2SD PCB, connected to a modern computing, and tried to run the SCSI scan on the 486. The SCSI2SD device hung up completely (the amber LED stayed illuminated). I powered everything down and reconnected the SCSI2SD, and behold the SCSI scan then was able to find the SCSI2SD device and it had worked ever since.

The developer of SCSI2SD, Michael, was fairly responsive via e-mail. But this guy, Alex, who appears to distribute the SCSI2SD through the inertial computing website, he well, stops replying to e-mails when issues arise. Before I bought the item, I clarified that the unit came with a class 10 SD card. Well, the unit came with a class 4 SD card, which according to Michael, would yield slower write speeds compared to class 10. I e-mail Alex back asking for clarity. He said that he would send the appropriate class 10 SD card. 4 weeks later, no SD card (and it was shipped within the USA only). Alex hasn't replied to my last 3 e-mails, while his pre-sales e-mail replies were within an hour and past working hours.

This has been my experience. What caused the SCSI2SD to not function originally, I don't know, but perhaps there are some firmware bugs still? I also don't understand the false advertising of these units being bundled with class 10 SD cards and the apparent abandonment of correcting the situation. I've had to order my own class 10 SD card to continue testing.

Were you able to get your SCSI2SD v6 working? If you log the data, Michael will likely troubleshoot for you.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.