VOGONS

First post, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanted to make a Pentium III machine out of my collection of old spare parts. I found a Pentium III 750 MHz and I have an old motherboard that I think had a Pentium II 350 MHz in it to begin with. I have looked all over the motherboard and have not been able to find a model number. I wanted to see if it could run the P3. I looked up the code in the BIOS which is 2A69KL1A and from that it looks like the board has the Intel 440BX/GX/ZX chipset. The machine boots with the P3 in it and it is detected as a P3 750 MHz as soon as it boots on that first screen. When I go in to the BIOS and the CPU Speed Setting it has "300MHz (100x3). I assume this needs to be changed? There are some options here for different speeds and multipliers with the highest being 650MHz (100x6.5) which would be 650MHz. Apart from that there is an option to manually set it. I could manually set it to CPU Ratio x7.5 and CPU Frequency 100 MHZ. Would that be right?

Thanks! 😀

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 1 of 4, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That P3 probably won't care at all what multiplier you set, it's just locked at its default 7.5.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 2 of 4, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alvaro84 wrote:

That P3 probably won't care at all what multiplier you set, it's just locked at its default 7.5.

I suppose that's why it says 750MHz as soon as it posts. Thanks!

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 3 of 4, by wouterwashere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alvaro84 wrote:

That is correct. Only early P2's were unlocked and had to be setup correctly in order to work at the right speed. A P3 (and later P2's) runs with the correct multiplier, or not at all, regardless what is setup in the BIOS or with the jumpers.

Reply 4 of 4, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wouterwashere wrote:
alvaro84 wrote:

That is correct. Only early P2's were unlocked and had to be setup correctly in order to work at the right speed. A P3 (and later P2's) runs with the correct multiplier, or not at all, regardless what is setup in the BIOS or with the jumpers.

Thanks for that confirmation.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770