VOGONS

First post, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😕 hi guys, I have a strange problem. I installed an 5x86 133 running nice @ 160Mhz with the PCChips MoBo.
It has fake cache, so according to some readings here I bought IS61C1024-10N 128Kx8 (10pc) for the cache memory and UM61512AK-15 for tag ram 64Kx8 according to manual http://th2chips.freeservers.com/m915/manual/9200-3.html

the goal is to have 1MB cache.
Using the bios settings:
Auto configuration: Disabled
read Wait State:0
write Wait State:0
an the most tight cache speed option: 2-1-2
I can run cachechk and it detects the 1MB cache, after test machine freezes...

using more relaxed timings
read Wait State:3
write Wait State:3
cache speed option: 3-2-3
I can run cachechk and it detects the 1MB cache, after test machine dont freeze...

Installing msdos 6.22 from gotek got some weird errors like "floppy" stops reading, errors saying missing file. With cache disabled on bios all good, no errors.
After install I enabled the cache and got a strange error:
translating from portuguese is something like
"Error: HYMEM.SYS detected a untrusted XMS memory at address 00101B2Ah. Hymem not loaded" the hexa value changes.
I made a test. installed only 512KB of cache with another tag ram (32Kx8) and all is good. Tested all 8 chips with this method.

What can be wrong?
Any ideas?
Many thanks,
Jorge

Reply 1 of 1, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Problem solved.. 2 cache chips were a little messed up. I started swapping chips until the 00101B2Ah changes. When it changed I knew that chip was not good. But because I got another address I kept changing then. The next one was swapped and then no errors loading hymem.sys.
It was an happy ending.
Hope that this info can help others