VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. I bought a lot of 7 IDE hard drives off of eBay recently. They were sold as "tested" by the seller.

I tested them all with CrystalDiskInfo by hooking them up to my Windows 10 PC with an IDE to USB adapter.

Two of them tested and formatted fine.

One is making clicking noises and cannot be detected by DOS or Windows. It's dead.

1 of them shows as "good", but when I try to format it in Minitool Partition Wizard, I get a "bad disk" error and it won't format.

The other 3 can be formatted, but CrystalDiskInfo gives me a "caution" warning with mainly reallocated sectors issues.

I don't know how the seller tested them, but I don't think he did a very good job. Therefore, I have asked for a refund. However, he is trying to give me only a partial refund. He says that they tested fine for him and I should have no problems with the drives.

So my question is, if the drive seems to be working fine, but I get a "caution" in CrystalDiskInfo with reallocated sectors being identified, should I trust these drives?

I am thinking the answer is no, but I just wanted some other opinions before I demand a return and refund from eBay.

Would you keep these drives or send them back?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Send them back, do not buy from seller again. Reallocated sectors are like coughing blood. It never happens for a good reason.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 2 of 6, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah, return them Testing was likely nothing more than trying to power them.

The Warning about reallocated sectors means IIRC that the count is over the SMART threshold. While it does not necessarily mean much, I would definitely not trust any HDD with SMART warnings.

Reply 3 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1 of them shows as "good", but when I try to format it in Minitool Partition Wizard, I get a "bad disk" error and it won't format.

I could be wrong, but such warning messaages are a bad sign nowadays. Newer IDE hard disks (~ mid-90s+) tended to mask any "bad sectors",
i.e. tried to fix them discretely in behind. This is contrary to the old DOS times, where "bad sectors" were not uncommon and occured
from time to time. Back then, DOS -or rather FORMAT- would just mark them as "bad" and go on..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mister Xiado wrote:

Send them back, do not buy from seller again. Reallocated sectors are like coughing blood. It never happens for a good reason.

I had a WD SATA disk that developed a single reallocated sector and spect 5 years or more without failing (it didn't even get another reallocated sector) until I sold it. A single (or few) reallocated sectors may indicate a single event in the past, but if you see a big number of them or (worst) that the count is incresing, that disk is not realiable anymore.

Last week, I put a thread asking for Windows x64 testing tools. Besides using WinDFT with my USB adapter (I guess that it only works with HGST disks, but I haven't tested with other brands) to run SMART tests, I needed some "readability" (is it written right?) tests... MHDD and Victoria reads every sector and time it, so you can see if reading a block is longer than usual (indicating a reallocation candidate). I consider unreliable disks that shows a number "orange/red" blocks (when you use Victoria or MHDD you'll know what I'm talking about)... it will probably fail soon.

About online tests: while SMART tests are fairly immune to external disturbances (unless you read/write to the same disk that you are analyzing), running those "readabilty" tests in are influenced by CPU load... a orange/red block may indicate also that your CPU load is high or that the I/O operation is lagged because you're trying to play games while doing tests.

(BTW, Victoria 4.68b supports SMART on more USB adaptors so you can read SMART parameters and launch some internal tests)

Mister Xiado is right: dump all those disks.

Koltoroc wrote:

yeah, return them Testing was likely nothing more than trying to power them.

I don't think the seller even powered them.

tegrady wrote:

Under DOS, usually "bad disk" means that track 0 is damaged. A disk with a single damaged sector in track 0 won't format even if the rest of the disk is fine.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 6, by Jager

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Refund is an obvious way to go, but if you'll end up keeping them you can try to fix them by cleaning the contact pads underneath the board.
Unscrew the PCB (only PCB!) and gently clean the pads that touches the drive head contacts using alcohol and soft pencil eraser. Then use erase and scan options in MHDD software.
Works for most drives, except for IBM and Hitachi - they have different contacts, that require good soldering skills to fix them.