VOGONS

First post, by Daaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tonight I finally found some time to boot up what hopefully will (soon) be my Windos 98 system for the first time, but unfortunately the system won't post. When switching on the PSU the CPU fan starts spinning immediately and the standby indicator LED on the motherboard is lit, so according to the manual both the PCI bus connectors and the memory modules should have power. The strange thing is the fan starts spinning immediately when swithching on the PSU, even without switching on the system with the connected powerswitch I snatched out of an other ATX case.

The motherboard has a speaker, but it won't beep and won't display a picture, both when I connect the monitor to a videocard or the VGA connection on the motherboard. I tried replacing the Tualatin (SL6BY) CPU with a Coppermine CPU I have, but it won't post either and the motherboard doesn't sound an error beep message with it either. Removing one and eventually both memory modules doesn't cause an error beep message either, the same goes for placing a memory module in another bank. I connected the PSU to my slot 1 motherboard and it boots without any problems. I tried placing the bios reset jumper in it's configure position, but the system won't post, beep or do anything different then before.

The PSU is a Corsair RM750x and according to a review on Tom's Hardware I found online it should provide the following amps on it's rails:

3.3V 25A
5V 25A
12V 62.5A
5VSB 3A
-12V 0.8A

I 'm not sure if that's enough for a Tualatin system? As mentioned in the title the motherboard is an Intel D815EEA2, the CPU is a Tualatin SL6BY. Is there anything I've overlooked during my failed attempt at trouble shooting and getting the system to boot?

Reply 1 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That should be fine. IIRC the RM750 should handle that type of severe crossload without too many problems.

I think you're probably going to have to check the motherboard for component failures.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 10, by Daaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately the Geforce4 ti 4600 I was planning to use in this system is displaying artifacts, so my "ultimate" Windows 98 build has to wait. For the time being I'm going to use a slocket adapter, socket 370 Pentium 3 1000 MHz and Geforce 256 or 2 GTS in my Windows 98 build.

If there's anyone in the southern part of the Netherlands willing to teach me some troubleshooting, replacing caps etc. I'm more then willing to learn!

Reply 3 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Daaf wrote:
Tonight I finally found some time to boot up what hopefully will (soon) be my Windos 98 system for the first time, but unfortuna […]
Show full quote

Tonight I finally found some time to boot up what hopefully will (soon) be my Windos 98 system for the first time, but unfortunately the system won't post. When switching on the PSU the CPU fan starts spinning immediately and the standby indicator LED on the motherboard is lit, so according to the manual both the PCI bus connectors and the memory modules should have power. The strange thing is the fan starts spinning immediately when swithching on the PSU, even without switching on the system with the connected powerswitch I snatched out of an other ATX case.

The motherboard has a speaker, but it won't beep and won't display a picture, both when I connect the monitor to a videocard or the VGA connection on the motherboard. I tried replacing the Tualatin (SL6BY) CPU with a Coppermine CPU I have, but it won't post either and the motherboard doesn't sound an error beep message with it either. Removing one and eventually both memory modules doesn't cause an error beep message either, the same goes for placing a memory module in another bank. I connected the PSU to my slot 1 motherboard and it boots without any problems. I tried placing the bios reset jumper in it's configure position, but the system won't post, beep or do anything different then before.

The PSU is a Corsair RM750x and according to a review on Tom's Hardware I found online it should provide the following amps on it's rails:

3.3V 25A
5V 25A
12V 62.5A
5VSB 3A
-12V 0.8A

I 'm not sure if that's enough for a Tualatin system? As mentioned in the title the motherboard is an Intel D815EEA2, the CPU is a Tualatin SL6BY. Is there anything I've overlooked during my failed attempt at trouble shooting and getting the system to boot?

Have you done a visual inspection of the board to check for any damages? Things to look out for are obviously the caps first, and then look for things like scratches on the PCB, bend pins, dislodged or missing components and things like rust or stains. Basically anything that shouldn't be there when it was new and left the factory 😜

The D815EEA2 may not support your particular Tualatin due to its BIOS (iirc Intel actually disabled use of some CPU in later versions of their BIOS on some of these boards), but the Coppermine would probably have worked.
Which Coppermine did you try out in the board?
Try with some spare ±700MHz spare Coppermine, as to exclude the possibility of the BIOS being (part of) the problem.

Also, I had this particular issue with my D815EEA (the non-Tualatin version of your board) with a 800MHz CPU. After a while, this rig would display symptoms very similar to yours (would basically act dead, even though I didn't even touch anything from the inside of it), except for the "boot up right away" part as I can't recollect if mine did this or didn't.

This ended up being a problem with the CPU HSF, which was a very large aluminium heatsink. Perhaps it was too large and would not sit completely level on the very small CPU die area. But anyway, this problem seemed to be gone for good after I had exchanged this CPU HSF with a smaller one (s7/ss7 sized heatsink) made out of copper. This may be worth trying out once you start troubleshooting with a lower clocked Coppermine.

Iirc there are some Dutch Vogoners living in the south of The Netherlands. Unfortunately for you I'm not one of them 😜
But I would recommend trying this on your own. Remember that many of us are not hardware engineers by profession and we simply learned by doing (and by sometimes messing up). It comes with the territory to experiment and explore first and maybe ask help later when you get stuck somewhere 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 10, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Daaf wrote:

Are you shure the motherboard supports Tualatin?

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel/D815EEA2_ … _D815EPEA2.html

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5 of 10, by Daaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

During a visual inspection of the motherboard the only thing I've found is some yellowish residue around the legs of a transistor, can that be caused by a leaking or blown transistor or is it just solder flux? The other two transistors on the board have it too, but less. The transistors on other motherboards I have look the same; they all have some yellowish residue on the solder joints/legs. If someone can recommend me a upload site I can post some pictures I've took of the transistor mentioned above. The inspection revealed no further scratches or blown or bulging caps.

One thing I forgot to mention in my first post is that the keyboard LEDs don't light up during booting either.

Next step is to get an extra ATX PSU, so I don't have to take my Katmai rig apart each time I want to test or just tinker around with some hardware. I want to test if the MB posts with the slowest socket 370 Coppermine I have, the stock Intel cooler and a simple 128 MB memory bank. Thanks for the advice so far!

Reply 6 of 10, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Daaf wrote:

During a visual inspection of the motherboard the only thing I've found is some yellowish residue around the legs of a transistor, can that be caused by a leaking or blown transistor or is it just solder flux? The other two transistors on the board have it too, but less. The transistors on other motherboards I have look the same; they all have some yellowish residue on the solder joints/legs. If someone can recommend me a upload site I can post some pictures I've took of the transistor mentioned above. The inspection revealed no further scratches or blown or bulging caps.

One thing I forgot to mention in my first post is that the keyboard LEDs don't light up during booting either.

Next step is to get an extra ATX PSU, so I don't have to take my Katmai rig apart each time I want to test or just tinker around with some hardware. I want to test if the MB posts with the slowest socket 370 Coppermine I have, the stock Intel cooler and a simple 128 MB memory bank. Thanks for the advice so far!

If the board posts with non tualatin, then check what version of the BIOS you have.
Finally, refer with the link I gave, by reading it through.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 10, by seanneko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a D815EEA2 which doesn't POST with a Tualatin. I've flashed every single BIOS version available and none of them worked. It does work fine with Coppermine though.

Apparently it's D815EEA2U which has Tualatin support.

Reply 8 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
seanneko wrote:

I have a D815EEA2 which doesn't POST with a Tualatin. I've flashed every single BIOS version available and none of them worked. It does work fine with Coppermine though.

Apparently it's D815EEA2U which has Tualatin support.

I went ahead and found a manual for the D815EEA2, here and you are correct. The D815EEA2 does not support any Tualatin, or at least not according to this manual.

So perhaps it's just a case of owner of the board not having read the manual? I never owned a D815EEA2 so I had no reason to ever read it. No idea where I got the idea from that it would support Tualatin, maybe got another brand naming scheme mixed up or something 😵

But at least it would appear that this problem is now 'solved'.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 10, by Daaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The board booted up fine with a Coppermine 667 MHz and 128 mb RAM, so I swapped the CPU with a 1 GHz Coppermine and replaced the single 128 mb module with two 256 mb modules. While I'm typing this I'm reinstalling Windows 98 on the system.

The motherboard is running version P10 of the bios, so I'm going to test if it will recognise the SL6BY with one of the bios versions I've downloaded; P15 and P21. Unfortunately I've ran out of thermal paste, so swapping CPU's has to wait till next week when I'm back home after the weekend.

My dining table is a mess with all kinds of CPU's, video cards and what not, but I'm a happy camper! 😁

Unfortunately Windows 98 freezes after the splashscreen after installation; the screen turns blue and only displays the mouse cursor while there's no hd activity whatsoever. When I reboot the system it just stops at the windows splash screen and keeps displaying the "moving" colored bar at the bottom. The bootlog doesn't show any loadfailures. It'll take some time untill this system is up and running I'm afraid...

Reply 10 of 10, by Daaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think the board needs recapping; I have all kinds of weird issues during the installation of Windows 98 SE. Everything seems to be OK until the system gets rebooted for the first time. After the first reboot instead of displaying the screen where you would fill in the registration code, the screen turns black after about 5 to 10 minutes and the system freezes. After pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL all kinds of artifacting can be seen on screen and when I reboot the system in safe mode apparently all kinds of files are damaged.

I finally decided to install Windows 98 on the harddisk using my Intel Slot 1 motherboard and that went perfectly, so both the PSU and the harddisk seem to be OK.