Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
C0deHunter wrote:
I am sorry, I don't follow you. What does this mean? […]
Show full quote

fixboot
fixmbr

I am sorry, I don't follow you. What does this mean?

What I meant, was that I don't know how to force fdisk /mbr to choose the *correct* destination drive. What I have done, is that on a DOS prompt (under Win98SE pure DOS mode), have typed this:

c:\
fdisk /mbr

nothing happned.

Then I changed to my CF drive letter:

cd D:\
D:
typed fdisk /mbr

nothing happens.

How do I know if I am invoking this command for the proper drive?

out fellow member dr_st mentioned that installing Win98 after 2k will destroy the 2k boot sector and you will have to repair.
so i mentioned that on the recovery console you cvan type use the fixboot tool to recreate the 2k boot sector, so it is not a big deal.
fixmbr tool will recreate the master boot record.

Reply 21 of 21, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see, well I have already installed Win98 prior to Win2K, but after cloning to a CF card, Win2K would get a BSOD, so I gave up on dual boot.

It seems like that the fdisk /mbr does work only for installing MS DOS, as I was able to install Win2K with no issue on this CF, without the need to use SanDisk tool to make it bootable.

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)