VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I'd like to have your opinion on latest Pentium 4 built on the Socket 775 until the 660 model and the older faster (?) 670. Did the 660 changed only to 65nm process or it's better in other ways? Why they didn't make a faster model on this process? Compared to the Prescott core, how much these models were better beside the frequency?
I will try a P5GDC mobo that support up these P4 and I should get the 660 version as first cpu.

Thank

Reply 1 of 5, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 660/670 are Prescott-2M models. 661 is the Cedar Mill (top) model which remained the fastest of its kind because, I guess, Netburst architecture was no longer a priority for Intel. They were already preparing the launch of Core 2 CPUs that could reach much higher performance at lower clock speeds and power consumption so why would they chase the limits of the P4?

But if you ask if you should get the 65nm Cedar Mill instead of a 90nm Prescott(-2M) I'd say yes. It puts much less stress on the motherboard's power circuitry than Prescott.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 2 of 5, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alvaro84 wrote:

The 660/670 are Prescott-2M models. 661 is the Cedar Mill (top) model which remained the fastest of its kind because, I guess, Netburst architecture was no longer a priority for Intel. They were already preparing the launch of Core 2 CPUs that could reach much higher performance at lower clock speeds and power consumption so why would they chase the limits of the P4?

But if you ask if you should get the 65nm Cedar Mill instead of a 90nm Prescott(-2M) I'd say yes. It puts much less stress on the motherboard's power circuitry than Prescott.

Thank. I read wrong somwhere about the 660 I thought it was already the 65nm version when I bought it. 🙁

Which is the "fastest" chipset/mobo still time correct, I could try the 661 on? The P5GDC is based on the 915p chipset.

Reply 3 of 5, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:

... Which is the "fastest" chipset/mobo still time correct, I could try the 661 on? The P5GDC is based on the 915p chipset.

Probably something with 945P chipset, like the Asus P5LD2. Enthusiast-targeted boards with 955X or 975X chipset, like the P5W DH Deluxe, were around during about the same period as the P5LD2 (mid- to late-2006; Cedar Mill came out early in 2006), but I imagine they won't be as easy to find and/or will be more expensive.

Btw, I don't think your P5GDC will work with Cedar Mill chips... or at least I don't see any of them in the CPU Support List.

Reply 4 of 5, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SW-SSG wrote:
386SX wrote:

... Which is the "fastest" chipset/mobo still time correct, I could try the 661 on? The P5GDC is based on the 915p chipset.

Probably something with 945P chipset, like the Asus P5LD2. Enthusiast-targeted boards with 955X or 975X chipset, like the P5W DH Deluxe, were around during about the same period as the P5LD2 (mid- to late-2006; Cedar Mill came out early in 2006), but I imagine they won't be as easy to find and/or will be more expensive.

Btw, I don't think your P5GDC will work with Cedar Mill chips... or at least I don't see any of them in the CPU Support List.

Oh no, I just got to change the 660 for the 661 that will arrive in the next days and I only see now that the cpu support list jump from the 660 to the 662.... 😵 😒 😢

Too bad.. I will test it in future.

Reply 5 of 5, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 1012 beta BIOS "Support new CPUs", though nothing is listed for 1012 on the CPU list - maybe that's for Cedar Mill.
Wonder if the BIOS might be patchable … Microcode update - like the trick for patching 771-775 Xeons in