VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, I have a Dell Latitude CPi D266XT laptop that I got today but there was no hard drive and part of the caddie is missing so I have a new caddie coming soon from ebay but I dont know about the hard drive, from what I can tell it uses an IDE hdd but the old ones are 4200 rpm and 5 volt 500mA what I would like to know is if the newer IDE drives will work the ones that are 5400 rpm and at 600mA. If 5400 rpm is to fast or wont work how would a CF card adapter be? I found this one so far:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CF-to-44-Pin-Lapt … ZQAAOSwuHJa~Q3r

Reply 1 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never paid that much attention, but I'm sure swapping out drives will be fine. HDD's are usually backwards compatible so if it cant support 5400rpm for whatever reason it'll just drop back to 4200.

Reply 2 of 3, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should work fine. 5400RPM 2.5" drives were marketed by the HDD manufacturers around ~2004 as having power consumption similar to 4200RPM ones. What might actually be an issue for you is the BIOS of your laptop not being able to handle the full capacity of the newer HDD you install.

chinny22 wrote:

... if it cant support 5400rpm for whatever reason it'll just drop back to 4200.

That's not how it works... :p
If an HDD is spec'd for 5400RPM, it will rotate at 5400RPM always, bar sleep states and certain APM idle power-saving states supported by IBM and Hitachi HDDs. There are physical reasons for why an HDD cannot dynamically adjust its rotational speed during operation that I won't bother with discussing here.

Reply 3 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SW-SSG wrote:
It should work fine. 5400RPM 2.5" drives were marketed by the HDD manufacturers around ~2004 as having power consumption similar […]
Show full quote

It should work fine. 5400RPM 2.5" drives were marketed by the HDD manufacturers around ~2004 as having power consumption similar to 4200RPM ones. What might actually be an issue for you is the BIOS of your laptop not being able to handle the full capacity of the newer HDD you install.

chinny22 wrote:

... if it cant support 5400rpm for whatever reason it'll just drop back to 4200.

That's not how it works... :p
If an HDD is spec'd for 5400RPM, it will rotate at 5400RPM always, bar sleep states and certain APM idle power-saving states supported by IBM and Hitachi HDDs. There are physical reasons for why an HDD cannot dynamically adjust its rotational speed during operation that I won't bother with discussing here.

no, no its not. I got distracted and wasn't really reading what I typed.
What a MEANT to say was

HDD's are backwards compatible so if it cant support ATA133 it'll drop back to ATA66 or lower so you may not get the advantage of the higher rpm but it still wont matter.