VOGONS

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, what can you tell me about this SIS 486 DX motherboard? I have only this photo:

SISMOBO.JPG

Especially, would it hold a 40 MHz FSB without down-clocking the VLB slots?

Unfortunately, the resolution of the photo doesn't allow fantastic zooming-in, so you guys might have to relay greatly on your extensive personal experience combined with quick visual "scan" rather than merely reading the writings on the board.

Thanks!

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 1 of 9, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't really answer your questions, but if it was me I'd be more concerned initially by the fact that the battery has leaked all over the place. It may not even POST without some extensive repairs.

Reply 2 of 9, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PTherapist wrote:

I can't really answer your questions, but if it was me I'd be more concerned initially by the fact that the battery has leaked all over the place. It may not even POST without some extensive repairs.

Oh wow thanks!

Reply 3 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PTherapist wrote:

This was THE first thing I noticed.

Get rid of it asap.

#2 is that it looks pretty clean and it will need the battery goo cleaned up as well.
VLB board with (from first glance) an original harddrive (looks like a WD or a Conner or something, I am very lazy and didn't try to read the label or compare with known existing parts).

The case might be the most interesting part, in case the mobo turns out to be dead.

Please correct me if I missed anything 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 9, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PTherapist wrote:

Tetrium wrote:

I don't know how you guys can see that from such a grainy/compressed picture. The facing terminal looks corroded but I honestly can't tell what you're seeing as obvious leakage or damage. Where are you looking??

Or is it a color thing? (I don't do colors that well, especially not browns & greens.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 6 of 9, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
This was THE first thing I noticed. […]
Show full quote
PTherapist wrote:

Get rid of it asap.

#2 is that it looks pretty clean and it will need the battery goo cleaned up as well.
VLB board with (from first glance) an original harddrive (looks like a WD or a Conner or something, I am very lazy and didn't try to read the label or compare with known existing parts).

The case might be the most interesting part, in case the mobo turns out to be dead.

Please correct me if I missed anything 😀

Thanks bro!
O I don't own it, I saw an ad and was evaluating...

Reply 7 of 9, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
I don't know how you guys can see that from such a grainy/compressed picture. The facing terminal looks corroded but I honestly […]
Show full quote
PTherapist wrote:

Tetrium wrote:

I don't know how you guys can see that from such a grainy/compressed picture. The facing terminal looks corroded but I honestly can't tell what you're seeing as obvious leakage or damage. Where are you looking??

Or is it a color thing? (I don't do colors that well, especially not browns & greens.)

yeah same difficulties as me

dionb wrote:

There's a *LOT* of green on things that should be brown or metallic. Not good. Very not good.

Thank you too guys!

Reply 8 of 9, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the same model which survived leakage but I never fully trusted the board... it wouldn't be 100% stable no matter which fsb.
The damage doesn't look too good - unless it's a bargain, stay far away.

Reply 9 of 9, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amadeus777999 wrote:

I had the same model which survived leakage but I never fully trusted the board... it wouldn't be 100% stable no matter which fsb.
The damage doesn't look too good - unless it's a bargain, stay far away.

Thanks so much for letting me know!