VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, i have an old 486 motherboard that is soyo branded
the motherboard is socket3 , and will not post

i have a PCI/ISA post card to check the codes when it turns on, but the card gives absolutly nothing at all
---on pci slot the card lights up, there is no number.. just two "- -"
---on isa slot the post card will not even light the numbers, i think it lights a couple of leds it has

i tried flashing bios with external flasher and no go, same thing.

I did touch one of the SIS big chips it has 2 of them, one after tuerning the pc on... burns your finger
the other one is kind of cool.

does it mean the SiS chip is broken? and it is useless to repair?

Reply 2 of 6, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

have a close look at the hot chips pins, see if any are lifted or touching, I had it happen on a video card where solder let go on 1 pin and it was shorting the pin next to it. Something shorting would defiantly make the chip hot

Reply 3 of 6, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this is the chip that burns my finger,

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping … 1327680091.html

sadly not available anymore.

my other hope was trying to get one brand new ,remove and older the new one very carefully

Reply 4 of 6, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you can try this technique on the chip, I have done it before its not too hard if you use enough flux and ofcourse if you do a bit of soldering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyele3CIs-U

I the video is for soldering on new chips but the same theory applies for adding new solder to current chips to fix any bad or cracked solder that may be giving u shorts

Reply 5 of 6, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i will check tonight when i get home
i got one of those USB microsopes 200x

if i see something...soldering iron
but such temperatures i think could already harm the chip if it was used like that in the past.