VOGONS

First post, by zago27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, y'all!
I've been into DOS and Win9x computing for a while and right now I'm reconfiguring the Pentium II/440BX based machine for running Windows 98 SE. I disconnected an old and noisy NEC (read: IBM) DeskStar 20GB hard drive and installed a IDE to CompactFlash adapter: the new storage device is a Transcend TS8GCF133.
I've been struggling for a couple of days trying to make it working, because Win98 is refusing to properly format the card. I'm getting seemingly random errors when I run "FORMAT C: /S": more specifically, when it gets to "Writing the file allocation table", it locks up at random percentage. Then, even the BIOS refuses to read the drive.
However, DOS 6.22 boot disk can perfectly partition, format and make bootable the CF. So, I'm guessing that FAT16 is more acceptable by the CF rather than FAT32.
I've already tried changing IDE options, such as changing drive detection from AUTO to LBA and CHS, but no luck with any of those.

This problem is bothering me a lot, how can I get it to work properly?
Thanks a lot,
Enrico

(BTW, sorry for bad error messages, I don't know the exact Italian-English translation for DOS)

Your friendly neighborhood hardware database and blog, The Retro Web

Reply 1 of 4, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't back up my opinion on this CF model you use with technical facts but from experience exactly those 8GB/133 from Transcend always meant trouble. They sometimes worked and sometimes didn't... Win98 worked but WinXP didn't, even on machines that would work with way bigger hard-disks. I also had corruption issues no matter which board(be it 486 or P4 class).

Reply 2 of 4, by zago27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I think I can, because right after I uploaded the post, the card was successfully formatted, but every time I try to write on it, I get errors everywhere. I found a SanDisk Ultra 4GB, which is flawlessly installing the OS, so I'll be avoiding Transcend drives for such purposes...

Reply 4 of 4, by zago27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the necro, I did some more testing and I narrowed down the issue.
If I install Windows 98 and keep it in PIO mode, every single card works just fine. However, if I enable DMA, the Transcend just refuses to work, while the SanDisk isn't affected. So, it must be some kind of incompatibility with the DMA protocols with some cards.