VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all!

Got myself a SuperMicro P6SBA motherboard. It's a 440BX Slot 1 board with 3 ISA slots, so really neat for my needs. However, it comes with AMI WinBIOS that seems to give me quite a few issues.

1) weird setup menu resolution

My machine came with a 3DLabs Permedia 2 graphics card. Whenever I try to enter the setup menu, the screen turns black and displays this:

AI4sJ6dm.jpg

I suppose, the graphics card doesn't support the graphic mode WinBIOS uses? If I swap the card for a Riva TNT2 it's all fine. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Permedia 2 is the card that was used with this system, so I don't suppose the previous owner never used BIOS menu. There must be a way to make it work.

2) the system doesn't like ISA

Here's my current setup

P3 500 MHz
256MB RAM
Riva TNT2 16MB
Voodoo 2 (soon to be SLI)
3COM network card
SoundBlaster 16 CT2230 connected to a Roland SC-55
MusicQuest clone MPU controller connected to a Roland MT-32

It really seems like the system has issues with ISA. It took me a while to simply make the SB16 appear in Windows and even then it appeared as one device ("SB16 or AWE32") while it supposed to be three: SB16, MPU401 controller (the one in the soundblaster, not my other card) and gameport joystick. I'm using the drivers from Creative's website. I had to reassign all IRQs in BIOS menu to "ISA/EISA".

After I've added the MPU controller, it all started to act even weirder. More often than not games like Doom would not give me any sound if I pick General MIDI and would slow down to a crawl. The MT-32 works fine. The cards seem to conflict somehow even though I've set SB16 to 300 and the MPU card to 330.

The motherboard BIOS has been updated to the latest 3.1 version, I've also installed Intel's chipset drivers.

Feels like there's some weird BIOS default setting that I need to change, yet the manual doesn't mention anything apart from IRQs. What am I missing?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there an option to disable ACPI in BIOS and revert to APM?
I don't know if this will help with the ISA issues but ACPI is hard-wired to IRQ9 so maybe there is some resource conflict going on there.
On my 233mmx system I had to revert to APM several years back when Phil discovered that ACPI IRQ9 messed up with his PCI SATA controller in a SS7 system. I had a similar setup (no sata but mpu401at installed so I needed IRQ9) and after testing with Gateway I really found out there was a conflict that was not apparent in other games. Reverting to APM solved this for me so from that point onwards I use APM.
I have no real experience though with ISA cards and anything faster than a 233mmx system... but could worth to try what I suggest.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 7, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, Keropi!

I'm actually using your MPU card 😀 I don't think anything uses IRQ9 right now: MPU is set to default 330/IRQ2, and SB16 to 300/IRQ5, but I'll check it tonight. I think I've had ACPI issues on a Super Socket 7 motherboard before, so it feels like a good guess.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ yep I figured it was PCMIDI 😀
acpi is weird in it's irq9 hogging - I was using my 233mmx setup for years but I did not realize I had an issue - Phil found it sooner since it was affecting his HDD
I hope there is an option for ACPI in your system, at some point they removed the ability to disable it fully - there are reports that even when BIOS has it to DISABLED it does not really free IRQ9

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aren't IRQ2 and IRQ9 the same thing? Believe the 16-bit IRQ controller is cascaded to the 8-bit one on IRQ2.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 7, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sooo, the motherboard used APM, not ACPI.

I ended up reinstalling Windows after cleaning BIOS settings. Oddly enough, everything just works now, without any BIOS tweaks. I did have to manually specify IRQ and DMA for SB16 in the Device Manager, but I can freely switch between MT-32 and SC-55 now, I get proper SB16 sound and generally have no issues. My theory is that the BIOS update could have helped. Otherwise I have no idea what I did differently this time.

Still I'm curious why Permedia doesn't work with BIOS.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 6 of 7, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Scratch that, SB16’s MPU still doesn’t work. So MT-32 via MusicQuest works just fine, but SC-55 gives me weird issues.

1) Doom feels like 5 FPS even in start menu and takes long to launch. No sound or music
2) Duke Nukem 3D lags at launch but starts with both sound and music. It lags at the very beginning but then the FPS becomes okay. It does skip a few MIDI notes here and there.
3) somehow this time Device Manager shows that I have three MPU 401 devices
4) ACPI isn’t on. APM is, however.
5) no IRQ or DMA conflicts. I’ve set all the resources for SB16 and MusicQuest manually. No conflicts in Device Manager or AIDA32

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 7 of 7, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update. It all works!

First of all, my mistake was that I plugged both IN and OUT cables into SC-55. This is why Doom didn’t work.

Second, Duke Nukem simply is buggy with the MPU401 on CT2230.

So, apart from the BIOS update and manual resource assignment in Windows Device Manager I didn’t really have to anything to get things working.

I also realised that my MusicQuest card has two OUT ports. So I can just get a second MIDI cable and connect both Roland modules to the controller. That will solve my bugs in Duke Nukem 3D.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog