VOGONS

First post, by mjnman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this aztech sound card. It's seems to be a SG BXII becasue there is the chip "AZTSB0792-U07". On pentium motherboard I disabled all serial/parallel and with driver SG BXII works!!!
Now I tried to install on 8086 motherboard but the computer after self test doesn't boot neither from floppy disk or hard disk. If I remove the sound card the OS boot correclty.
I think it's a problem on the IRQ or DMA. I tried to change jumper but I not sure it's correct way because I didn't find any information about it.
Please have someone some imformation about sound card on image? There is a label "SC100S"

KfNZHCk.jpg

3reiG4G.jpg

Reply 1 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting, not seen this one before...

The "SC100S" strongly suggests this was marketed by Reveal Computer Products. Normally they just relabeled Aztech's regular designs, but this isn't one of the designs I'm familiar with and it also doesn't map with any of the layouts on TH99. Also no hits on Reveal SC100S.

Jesolo is the resident Aztech expert, if anyone knows, he will. He's likely to pop by when he sees a topic with "Aztech" in the title 😉

But with the troubleshooting you've done it's clear enough the card works and you're hitting a conflict in the XT. Completely not booting sounds more like a base address conflict than IRQ, but potentially address, IRQ and DMA could all be conflicting. If we can't help you with more documentation, use what you have: the CDRom address jumpers (JP7) are documented on the silkscreen. Unless I'm mistaken, the other jumpers look documented too, it looks like there are numbers under JP11 that indicate IRQ and under JP12 that indicate DMA. I can't see JP10 well enough, but I'd be willing to wager that's base I/O address, and good chance that if everything else is mentioned on silkscreen, that will be to. If not, the number of settings are limited - just try it on the Pentium board and see what the different settings do. Once you know what's what, use that info to try to get it running in the XT.

My first guess would be a conflict with that CD controller, it's now at 0x320h, try moving it to 0x340h or 0x360h. Second thing to try would be base address. If it's on 0x220h, try it on 0x240h or vice versa. Finally go for IRQ. It looks like it's now on 5. XT HDD controllers tended to use 5, so try it on 7. You may have to disable the parallel port in that case though.

Edit:
Was a bit sleepy, forgetting how different XT architecture was. Your assumption on IRQ is actually most likely cause, that IRQ5 definitely conflicts with the HDD controller. IRQ7 conflicts with LPT, but IRQ3 is also an option and conflicts with COM2. So, choose what you can miss most.

Reply 2 of 15, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is indeed a rebranded Sound Galaxy, sold by Reveal.
Search for Reveal SC100.
Although the layout isn't the same, have a look at these jumper settings: http://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/i/P-R/53940.htm

Reply 3 of 15, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. I have a Sound Galaxy BXII but never thought there'd be a similar 8bit card that also crammed multiple CD interfaces onto the PCB.

In fact, this is probably the only sound card I've ever seen with an 8bit ISA slot and a CDROM interface (I know the SB Pro technically doesn't need the full 16bit slot, but it is still there).

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 15, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I seem to recall that the NXII range of cards included a CD-ROM interface, whereas the BXII range was the cheaper alternative (but functionally identical) that did away with the CD-ROM interface.

Reply 5 of 15, by mjnman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thank you all. I tried to change the jumpers settings on JP10,JP11 and JP12 and seems to work only IRQ with JP12, last 3 pins from left. The others JP doesn't change neither DMA or joystick port.

hiBem70.jpg

6nfY4Vp.jpg

I can change the address with JP14, from 220 to 240.

H2nmEF4.jpg

I tried to change others JP but the settings doesn't change except JP6 because I don't know if it's a dedicated connector.

u9mdhZo.jpg

I think that my 8086, Olivetti PCS86, doesn't support this card because with checkit I can watch that IRQ 3 and DMA 1 is available and the hang after the bios test it's the same:

zyYsXtg.jpg

9AoXYay.jpg

Last question. Can I try identify others settings putting jumper on JP6 or I can damage the card? I would like the DMA and game port 😊

Reply 6 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can try, but that looks far more like a selector for amplified or non-amplified line out, or for mic type, than anything relating to address/DMA.

If changing JP14 for address from 0x220 to 0x240 doesn't change anything and DMA 1 looks free, I'd focus on CD interface address conflicts as issue.

Also I have the feeling that JP11 is mislabeled and is actually DMA, not IRQ - which is JP12 as you already confirmed.

Reply 7 of 15, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would like to see a photo of the back of the board, I can then trace out where the DMA signals go to.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 8 of 15, by mjnman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Read of the board:

VRJvb9Y.jpg

front:

2GS9OJM.jpg

Now I waited some minutes after bios post and with card inserted I can see a messages "no rom basic available - reset".

THX9Ex3.jpg

I'm sorry but I don't know what to do anymore. I think to try another sound card with this 8086 when I'll find and if I'll find.

Reply 9 of 15, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SB DMA is hardwired to DMA1, the jumpers only select DMA for the CD ROM stuff and it is currently configured for DMA3.
JP10 is at DMA3 currently, when you move the two to leftmost edge you get DMA1. To disable DMA you need to remove the second jumper on JP10 (pins/jumper marked in red are DMA request signals, others are DMA acknowledge signals and one should stay connected to prevent issues) : : : I I

Rightmost IRQ jumpers (JP12, 9357) are for SB IRQ, middle ones (JP11) are for CD ROM, you'll probably want to disconnect the CD ROM IRQ jumper altogether.

JP14 should be gameport disable. JP13 goes straight to the Aztech chip so I imagine it selects SB IO address.

Other jumpers are for analog stuff such as mic type select and whatnot.

Reply 10 of 15, by mjnman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm impressed 😲 thank you very much. Only a small think...I removed and changed the JP14 but on software setup changed only the base address from 220 to 240. I didn't understand where I can find the gameport enable/disable jumper.
Next days I'll try to disable DMA on CDROM and I'll retry with understand JP14 and base address.

Reply 11 of 15, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, then JP14 is the SB IO address change and 13 is the gameport enable/disable instead.

Reply 12 of 15, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you can set IRQ 7.

It should work if you don't use printer port and sb at same time

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 15 of 15, by snajper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2018-12-14, 10:52:

Interesting, not seen this one before...

The "SC100S" strongly suggests this was marketed by Reveal Computer Products. Normally they just relabeled Aztech's regular designs, but this isn't one of the designs I'm familiar with and it also doesn't map with any of the layouts on TH99. Also no hits on Reveal SC100S.

I happen to had the same card, labeled "Trust Sound Expert De Luxe". I still have some stuff for it, i.e. manual and one of the two installation floppies - "Windows drivers and utility" (plus MusicRack guide for Windows). The floppy with DOS setup missing. 🙁 Also I can't remember if there wasn't a second manual included, as the one that I have containts very little information on jumper settings - the only thing described is that JP4 goes to Speaker pins on motherboard.

Attachments

• manual2.jpg
    Filename
    manual2.jpg
    File size
    688.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain