VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an Asus PCI/I-P54SP4 Rev. 1.5 socket 5 motherboard. On the bottom of the motherboard, there appears to be two resistor packs soldered to the pins of the primary IDE connector. It looks like some kind of after thought, either by the end-user or the factory. Does anyone else have a motherboard with this resistor network soldered on? And do you know what its purpose is?

PCI_P54SP4_top.jpg
Filename
PCI_P54SP4_top.jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
PCI_P54SP4_bottom.jpg
Filename
PCI_P54SP4_bottom.jpg
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File license
PCI_P54SP4_resistor_pack.jpg
Filename
File size
168.87 KiB
Views
File license

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 6, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:
I have an Asus PCI/I-P54SP4 Rev. 1.5 socket 5 motherboard. On the bottom of the motherboard, there appears to be two resistor p […]
Show full quote

I have an Asus PCI/I-P54SP4 Rev. 1.5 socket 5 motherboard. On the bottom of the motherboard, there appears to be two resistor packs soldered to the pins of the primary IDE connector. It looks like some kind of after thought, either by the end-user or the factory. Does anyone else have a motherboard with this resistor network soldered on? And do you know what its purpose is?

PCI_P54SP4_top.jpg
PCI_P54SP4_bottom.jpg

Can't help you feipoa but it definitely looks like an end-user modification judging from the way the legs on the resistor packs have been cut (too long) and the way the single wire is connected to the other pack without any protective tape. Still a clean job though.
I wonder if they were attempting to attenuate the signal on the data lines, or conversely, raise the TTL low-state voltage to whatever that black wire leads to if that makes any sense.

What is that black wire connected to? is it a ground?

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 2 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These are pullup/down resistors on the data lines, probably to correct some sort of a timing issue or problem when no cable is connected or something similar.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 6, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As a side note, the IDE connectors on that motherboard are handled by the infamous CMD 640B controller with various data corruption bugs. Not sure if that has anything to do with those mods, though.

Reply 4 of 6, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The black wire just connects to Vcc, so the resistor arrays are pull-ups as Tiido suggested. I'm just wondering why its there. My first thought was also wondering if it was some hack to lessen or prevent the CMD corruption bug.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.