VOGONS

First post, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a 5170 with the 11-85 ibm bios. I want to add an ide drive to this system. I have searched and what i believe to be the best option is to use a 16 bit multi controller and use the xtide bios in the socket of the 3c509 i have. My question is about burning the chip. I have a 64k eeprom.that i am lead to believe can be flashed in my xtide r4 board that i have installed in my 5160. The other thing is i assume the 12k bios image for AT systems would be the best to select, but i didn't know if someone that knows about this knda thing could cook me up a 64k bin image that would flash without too much issue, since i am unsure how to write 12 k to a 64k space.

Last edited by lowlytech on 2018-12-16, 14:04. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you sure you have a 32KiB EEPROM? Or is it a 32 kiloBIT? What is the ICs code? 28C256 or similar? Then it should be fine and really have 32KiB.
Also, I was under the impression that you can simply write smaller images to larger PROMs. So I would assume that you can use a 12k image. On my AT clone I never got the AT files to run, but your IBM should work, I guess...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 6, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry I get bits and bytes mixed up when talking about flash. The chip I have to write to is an Atmel AT28C64B. So I was wrong, I will correct the subject line. Thanks root42 for having me double check myself. Any pointers like what hex editor to use, or filling with all zero's or the locations of where to copy the 12k file to create 64k image would be great. The only programmer I would have for 28pin DIP chips is the XT-ide itself from my XT.

Reply 3 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

28c64 can only hold 8kbytes of data so you can't use the 12kb XTIDE bios...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 6, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got confused on my sizes. So anything listed in the model number I need to actually divide by 8? I guess that answers my question as far as filling the EEPROM to size. Thanks Keropi. Am I really going to miss out on anything that the 12k image uses over the 8k?

Reply 5 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Chips are marked with bits not bytes for the most part. 64 on it means 64Kbits, there's 8 bits per byte so size in bytes is 8x less. You need a 256Kbit chip to hold 32KB.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use 27C128 eproms and just burn there the 12kb AT XT-IDE bios , works fine on my 286/386 and even 486 setups that I need large hdd support.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website