VOGONS

First post, by serrith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I love crt monitors even on modern pcs so i can play my dos(box) games in the correct resolution looking exactly as they should.

But the newer videocards (from nvidia) no longer have any analog output.

Can i combine a second older videocard with vga in my system and drive me crt monitor and how ?
Or is there a converter solution that works perfectly ?

How do you "modern" retro gamers solve this issue without setting up a second retro pc.

Many thanks.

Reply 1 of 8, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used an HDMI to RCA/Svideo converter almost many years ago when we had an Apple TV plus an ancient back projection TV:

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-EGHRC-Composit … r/dp/B00GGFY6LW

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 8, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Easiest thing to do is just buy an ACTIVE hdmi to vga converter. I got mine for like $5 years ago. They can mostly all do 1600x1200 but I can't say much about the refresh rate, I use mine on an old sony LCD 60hz panel.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 3 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You'll need one of the active HDMI to VGA converters. Most are just dumb DACs so what goes in comes out exactly as that in analog form. Main issue is that most digital resolutions have reduced blanking times and only good CRTs can deal with that, especially in high resolutions. If you experience image wraparound in left or right edge you know the blanking period is too short for the monitor, you will have to reduce resolution, reduce refresh rate or create a custom resolution with something like PowerStrip.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 8, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote:

You'll need one of the active HDMI to VGA converters. Most are just dumb DACs so what goes in comes out exactly as that in analog form. Main issue is that most digital resolutions have reduced blanking times and only good CRTs can deal with that, especially in high resolutions. If you experience image wraparound in left or right edge you know the blanking period is too short for the monitor, you will have to reduce resolution, reduce refresh rate or create a custom resolution with something like PowerStrip.

CRU is a great tool for adding custom modes by overriding the monitor's EDID with a custom one (soft-override, it doesn't modify the monitor or anything):

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Cus … ion-Utility-CRU

Reply 5 of 8, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am a fan of CRTs myself, but I haven't yet tried an active VGA converter. If you try one out and determine that you don't like the result, the GTX 980 Ti is the most powerful card to support VGA (through the DVI-I port). If you don't need quite that much power, a 970 or 980 are both great options. 970s have been turning up very cheaply lately second hand. That's what I have in my main system. I'm currently using a BenQ XL2720Z however, because I realized that wasting the life of my rare old high end CRTs on web browsing most of the time wasn't the wisest choice. They are relegated to testing old systems and for playing old games when possible. I will say, this BenQ monitor is one of very few (2 or 3 at most) that can come somewhat close to giving CRT-like motion clarity in DOS games at normal refresh rates (due to blur reduction support at 60hz), and it also has very nice built in scaling options. I bought it specifically to give me a modern (efficient) display without losing too many of the things I liked about my CRT.

realnc wrote:

CRU is a great tool for adding custom modes by overriding the monitor's EDID with a custom one (soft-override, it doesn't modify the monitor or anything):

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Cus … ion-Utility-CRU

I've been meaning to ask, what is your avatar from? That's a really crazy picture... 🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 6 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Besides and active adapter (HDMI or DP), you could always add a second, low end, older video card if all you need it for is DOSBOX. Then you don't have to worry about switching stuff around either depending on your setup. You can have the CRT hooked up for DOSBOX and an LCD hooked up to the new card for more modern stuff.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 8, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

I've been meaning to ask, what is your avatar from? That's a really crazy picture... 🤣

Heh. It's from Realms of Arkania 2, one of my favorite RPGs. But that guy always looked hilarious to me, and kind of out of place 🤣

Reply 8 of 8, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
realnc wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Heh. It's from Realms of Arkania 2, one of my favorite RPGs. But that guy always looked hilarious to me, and kind of out of place 🤣

It looks like a demented Micheal Keaton zombie standing in front of a viking with his hands on the shoulders of some kind of Mad Max mutant man/woman who is yelling for some reason.

Hilarious picture indeed! 🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.