VOGONS

8086 cpu.

Topic actions

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you replace 8Mhz 8086 with 5Mhz 8086 or do you also need to replace crystal on the motherboard? Just wondering if the crystal is inside the cpu or on the motherboard.

Reply 2 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jesolo wrote:

The crystal is in the motherboard. Take a picture of the motherboard.

Basically I am considering if I should buy ibm ps/2 model 25 with 8086 8Mhz and I am wondering if I could make it compatible with those games that are speed sensitive and require 4.77Mhz pc to run at correct speed. I don't have picture of the motherboard at the moment. I know the cpu can be replaced with NEC V30 without changing crystal to make it faster, but I wonder if same thing works with making it slower.

Reply 3 of 6, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm quite sure the 8284 clock generator divides the crystal rate by 3. Given that, the 8mhz 8086 would have a 24mhz crystal.

14.318180MHz crystal works out to 4.77mhz cpu. The isa bus and keyboard rely on this crystal as well.

Another option is to buy a 286 and use software to slow it down, thats also worth some research.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 4 of 6, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

An 8086 at 4.77 MHz is still much faster than an 8088 at 4.77 MHz, so it is not likely to solve all your speed-sensitivity problems.
A clone with a real 8088 and a turbo option is a better solution to that.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:

An 8086 at 4.77 MHz is still much faster than an 8088 at 4.77 MHz, so it is not likely to solve all your speed-sensitivity problems.
A clone with a real 8088 and a turbo option is a better solution to that.

Too bad. This is the slowest pc I have seen for sale during past 2 years.

Reply 6 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

Too bad. This is the slowest pc I have seen for sale during past 2 years.

I don*'t know for sure, but perhaps it's possible to change memory-refresh timings via software to make performance worse ?
I remember that people decreased the refresh times to make a machine faster, maybe it also works in reverse (longer refresh cycles) ?
This is just an idea; and not a very good one. But it's the only thing that comes to mind now.
That being said, I'm no XT machine expert. Still learning..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//