Common searches

The perfect computer

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 142, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ironically, The iPad is Apples least expensive computer and I think it’s it’s best all-around computer.
I did not say it’s most powerful just better all-in-one, diverse, and mobile.

https://youtu.be/llZys3xg6sU

Reply 21 of 142, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it's funny that this has devolved into a debate about iPads.

I think the iPad is the best all-around *tablet*. Not computer. I see them as two different things serving two different purposes, alongside smartphones doing something different altogether.

Also, desktops and laptops serve different purposes as well.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 22 of 142, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

....Well the perfect all-in-one computer does exist.

It’s called the “iPad”

By your reasoning, the perfect "computer" is an Iphone. It does whatever an Ipad can, and some more.

Tablet, mobile phone, and PC (laptop or desktop, heck even they are very different) are different things. A perfect tablet or a perfect phone are just that, a perfect tablet or a perfect phone. They are not even close to a perfect computer, period.

I like my Ipad and Iphone for what they can do (for what they have been designed for), and I believe they are considerably better than their counterparts (despite the fact that I hate apple devices otherwise), but I never even consider them as a computer, not even a second. They are much better at some things than my desktop computer (heck, my computer is not designed to be a mobile device) but that does not make them a computer, let alone a perfect computer.

Last edited by tayyare on 2018-12-17, 19:21. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 23 of 142, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I’m typing this on an iPad and gosh what a pain it is to input information into these things - they’re great for consuming generally speaking, but creation not so much.

My daughter’s primary school have decided that iPads will replace computers in the classroom and I can understand the attraction - every kid can have one and probably already know how to use it - but the oldest has recently been writing a short story on it and as good as she is the formatting, etc is all over the shop. They’re just not capable of any serious work.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 24 of 142, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

I’m typing this on an iPad and gosh what a pain it is to input information into these things - they’re great for consuming generally speaking, but creation not so much.

My daughter’s primary school have decided that iPads will replace computers in the classroom and I can understand the attraction - every kid can have one and probably already know how to use it - but the oldest has recently been writing a short story on it and as good as she is the formatting, etc is all over the shop. They’re just not capable of any serious work.

When I bought my Wife an iPad gen 4 when they first came out I also sprang for a case that also had a bluetooth keyboard. It is so much easier to type with a real keyboard.

The keyboard stopped charging after a couple years though. Pretty much the only thing the iPad is used for anymore is for the kiddos to watch Netflix and play a game here or there.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25 of 142, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

iPad! Vomits! Tablets are support at best, by no means a replacement.

I'm was primarily a Mac guy since the mid nineties and switched back to PCs full time for all of my work. Why? Because Apple decided everyone's perfect computer was an appliance, a consumption device. So now their Macs are becoming glorified iPads when Apple isn't just flat out neglecting them. But of course Apple says iOS and OS X aren't merging, which is a lie. GRRRRR.

Apple killed off the best thing about their company, Macs. What they sell now are not Macs. :\

And then there's this: iPads and other similar devices are damaging kids brains.

Reply 26 of 142, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just sold my old cheese grater Mac pro because they are too BIG, resource hogs, out of date , old hardware, loud power supplies, require new graphics cards, and where just too old for everyday use.

My iPads are my everyday computers today. Sometimes I use a desktop PC or my MacBook pros. But hardly.
I just like the simplicity and convenience of a mobile and reliable tablet.
The iPad has everything I need.

Reply 27 of 142, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You know, it just occurred to me that if I could go back to 1992 and show my young self what my computer in 2018 can do, I'm 100% sure he'd say that this actually is the "perfect computer." Just imagine seeing this back then:

Oc1Bxkmm.jpg

So with that in mind, I think no matter what kind of technology we have, it will never be perfect. We'll always want more.

Reply 28 of 142, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
realnc wrote:

no matter what kind of technology we have, it will never be perfect. We'll always want more.

But this is the crux of the issue for me! I want to clearly define what I want my computer to do, pick the computer that fulfills those requirements, and keep using it. I don't want to be bound by artificial obsolescence.

Many of my hobbies involve this sort of thing, as if I have something to prove... mainly that obsolescence is a construct brought about by our changing environment. None of our tech just magically stops working as a result of the newest thing coming out. The new technology simply changes our expectations.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 29 of 142, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm one of these guys that actually likes progress. I think that my recent pc and its software are in many ways much more user friendly than my retro systems. Yes, you can do accounting in Excel 4.x on Windows 3.1, but just the layout alone of a recent Excel is so much more intuitive. AI is also a big advantage in recent software, it dramatically increases productivity. Furthermore I like the 'plug and playness' of new hardware. I wouldn't want to have it any other way, I like to upgrade and replace my computer every now and then.

Reply 30 of 142, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Right then this explains why you can never be bothered posting actual pics, it's all too hard on a pad.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 31 of 142, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Right then this explains why you can never be bothered posting actual pics, it's all too hard on a pad.

giphy.gif

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 32 of 142, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Ironically, The iPad is Apples least expensive computer and I think it’s it’s best all-around computer.
I did not say it’s most powerful just better all-in-one, diverse, and mobile.

https://youtu.be/llZys3xg6sU

I wonder why the uploader of that video had to hide the like/dislike numbers 🤣

Reply 33 of 142, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:
https://media.giphy.com/media/L8XuphFGqlSfe/giphy.gif […]
Show full quote
badmojo wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

giphy.gif

lololololol

I'm sorry, that was funny.

While I will agree that iPads are good at what they do, they are far too limited to actually replace "real" computers completely. Ever.

To me, my perfect computer would never tell me what I can't do with it, and if there was ever an actual technical limitation, it would be flexible enough to get around it either with software or hardware changes.

Come to think of it, I've had this for years, which is why I still use PCs. The biggest change I'd make to modern PCs is to have complete control over what Windows 10 is doing in the background, but aside from that, I can do anything I want with it, and if it won't do it there is always a way to change that.

BTW, it probably goes without saying that no Apple product will ever fit this bill.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 34 of 142, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd rather have a laptop with a real OS instead of an iPad. iPads are good for browsing the web and email, and novelty apps. They are not the best all around computer, tablets are essentially unnecessary if you make slightly bigger phones or a better controller for your smart TV.

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2018-12-18, 05:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 35 of 142, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Well the perfect all-in-one computer does exist.

It’s called the “iPad”

tenor.gif?itemid=5017444

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 36 of 142, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the real world, a perfect computer doesn't exist.
We can always find improvement.
Not everyone has the same preferences and goals. I want universality and flexibility. You may want simplicity.
Success is usually in finding the right balance of factors or reducing the cost of sacrificing one set for the another. Very seldom is an approach completely pure and never is everyone fully satisfied.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 37 of 142, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What about the Amazon HD 10 tablet.
Works great with bluetooth keyboard. I am using it right now with a logitech K7 bluetooth keyboard. I bought this an sale for $99

Alexa "Play dancing Queen".
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xFrGuyw1V8s

The tablet CPU is kind of weak but Alexa is really Cool !

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Amazon-Fire-HD … re+tablet&psc=1

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-12-18, 14:53. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 38 of 142, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

iPads are no way the perfect "computer", nor is iPhones for that matter. Yes, they are a kind of computer, in were people have begun referring to programs and games, as "App's". The reason for it loosing on that "the perfect" criteria. Is that they are a major and gigantic pain in the rectum, if you want to transfer files. For that you need a program on a Windows or Mac computer, called iTunes, to be able to do this. You can't just use a file explorer on a Linux or Unix box. Yet alone on Os/2, Dos, BeOS or 68k Mac's. Nope... On this important criteria they fail misserable. Then try and use them for productivity tasks, like word processing, spreadsheet or even programming. Ohhh the pain....

Though they are easy to use when you want something simple done.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 39 of 142, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:
https://media.giphy.com/media/L8XuphFGqlSfe/giphy.gif […]
Show full quote
badmojo wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

giphy.gif

🤣 🤣 🤣 Right on with the posting of pictures part as in general useage of the iPad. And then there are the data retrieving part, when an iPad goes bad. Try resquing all the images stored on an iPad, when the only tool you have, is an FreeBSD machine and no internet access... Ouch..

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011