The perfect computer

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 142, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Sounds like you need something in the neighbourhood of an Thinkpad. You can find one with over 50% of those requirements.
As I mentioned earlier, then I am happily running an Thinkpad R61, that is from the time period in where Lenovo took over from IBM.

This was typed on a ThinkPad X200 which fits good number of the requirements. I want a X61 with 1400x1050 though but those seem to be pretty rare... 1024x768 will not cut it.

I have made several X61's with IPS SXGA+ LCD in the past 😉

PS. Tore teist eestlast siin näha 😉

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 81 of 142, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I built a Frankenpad last year and sold it for nearly $400... almost 4 times the price it was to build it. It was a T61 mobo in a 15" T60 shell with the UXGA 1600x1200 screen.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 82 of 142, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

I know! I need a iMac wheel!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA

Yes, typing is going to be a thing of the past. Voice interpretation and voice commands.
The wheel would be nice but a touch display keyboard would be nicer with interchangeable keyboard types and game pads. Wheels and all kinds of stuff. Just swipe for a different type of input method.

But i still think the All-in-One iPad is on the right track. Maybe logitech will make a touch display keyboard for the iPad ?

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-12-21, 21:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 83 of 142, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Paadam wrote:

I have made several X61's with IPS SXGA+ LCD in the past 😉

PS. Tore teist eestlast siin näha 😉

I should have been more specific, X61 *tablet*, regular X61 has no value to me. + Toshiba pen because most IBM pens lack pressure sensitivity.

Siin mõned eestlased on täitsa olemas jah

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 84 of 142, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Yes, typing is going to be a thing of the past. Voice interpretation and voice commands.
The wheel would be nice but a touch display keyboard would be nicer with interchangeable keyboard types and game pads. Wheels and all kinds of stuff. Just swipe for a different type of input device.

That's an ergonomic and haptic nightmare. Take it from a touch typist -- feedback by vibration is a poor substitute for a good key action. Direct voice input might achieve the level of fidelity required to replace mechanical input methods, but I suspect mind machine interfaces will be the direction instead.

Intel486dx33 wrote:

But i still think the All-in-One iPad is on the right track. Maybe logitech will make a touch display keyboard for the iPad ?

I'm not sure if you realize the point of the video and how your post matches the point of view of the Apple idiots they make fun of in it.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 85 of 142, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

The wheel would be nice but a touch display keyboard would be nicer with interchangeable keyboard types and game pads. Wheels and all kinds of stuff. Just swipe for a different type of input device.

No, no and fuck no. Even the best voice recognition software existing right now is regularly failing horribly, particular if someone has either particularly strong or unusual accent. But even under ideal circumstances it is not reliable. It has its uses but those are normally supplementary instead of being a replacement. Voice recognition is also massively slower. I am by no means a fast typer but I tried good voice recognition in the past and I could type faster than the voice program could transcribe spoken language. On top of that you have to go over the text to catch the mistakes the algorithm made and correct them. That alone can take longer than just writing it in the first place. On top of that Voice recognition less precise. I dare you to try and use voice recognition to enter any mildly complex equation or scientific(ish) work. You WILL go back to mouse and keyboard and start over. The day a device I use has only voice recognition as an input option is the day I murder the person responsible.

On the topic of touch keyboard I have one thing to say: Kill it with fire. Seriously, they are just horrible. The cheapest, nastiest and mushiest rubber dome or membrane keyboard is more usable than those things. The total lack of haptic feedback (vibration doesn't count, it's shit) makes them (quite literally so) painful to use for extended periods of time. They are kinda fine for a quick email reply or the odd message over an instant messenger, but any reasonably long text are impossible to write on those things.

Game controls on a touchscreen are even worse. Instead of concetrating on the game you have to concentrate on the controls just so you don't hit the wrong patch of surface. The lack of haptic feedback is even more detrimental here. Because of that and the general lack of support for proper controllers (and frankly because of the tsunami of microtransaction infested shovelware) I have completely given up on mobile gaming.

Touchscreen controls are in theory an interesting idea, in practice they are a horrible mess.

Intel486dx33 wrote:

All in one devices are *NEVER* on the right track. While they are technically (on the paper at least) capable of everything, they will be good at nothing. In the case of tablets they are useless for any kind of serious work, for media consumption the screens are too small and the speakers suck, for games they are to weak for any serious gaming and their controls are atrocious. They are companion devices at best, only to use when a proper computer isn't available. Like on the bus or on the toilet. And even then, a notebook is often the better choice.

Reply 89 of 142, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Human hands are basically meant for touching things and getting physical feedback for doing so, that is why touch screens are never going to be good enough. They are just space saving measure for mobile devices when what you want to carry around needs to be as small as possible. Voice commands are way too slow and only advantage is to be able to give computers commands when you are further away from them.
Only thing that I can see taking over keyboard in the future might be an implant that allows you to control your computer accurately with your mind.

Reply 90 of 142, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

Guys, that was an Onion video. Keyboards aren't going anywhere.

But I thought no keyboard was the way of the future. After all, the iPad is the perfect computer.

I'm so confused. Why can't Apple just tell me what to think?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 91 of 142, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

I'm so confused. Why can't Apple just tell me what to think?

🤣 🤣 perish the thought!

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 92 of 142, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let's get back to reality.

It's unfortunate that the perfect computer will never be made as perfection would require at least two fully functional ISA slots. Manufacturers are longer supporting this essential technology.

Reply 93 of 142, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FuzzyLogic wrote:

Let's get back to reality.

It's unfortunate that the perfect computer will never be made as perfection would require at least two fully functional ISA slots. Manufacturers are longer supporting this essential technology.

If Apple made a lightning to ISA adapter it would only support Apple ISA cards.

Wait, what is going on? I forgot what this thread is about...

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 94 of 142, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Let’s get back on topic...

This thread is about the “perfect” computer for a specific pre-defined set of tasks.

For example, what would the perfect computer for writing be? Or web browsing? Or application development? Or gaming? Or some combination of those? When I talked about my “minimalist” computer idea I was thinking along the lines of writing, basic web browsing, low-resource non-fanatical gaming, and small app development on a personal basis, with a strong emphasis on stability and feature/code freeze except for bug fixes and security updates, so that the user interface does not keep changing over time and the computer never goes obsolete because the originally defined functions of the machine do not change.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 96 of 142, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently got to play around with an iPad and really liked its thinness. It slides easily into a bag full of books and other stuff, something that can be tricky for other computers. The thinnest notebook is still thicker than an iPad. When I last had to fly, I put my laptop in the hold and brought the iPad with me in the cabin.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 97 of 142, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

...Maybe logitech will make a touch display keyboard for the iPad ?

🤣 🤣 What? You mean as an "app" or something?

I think at that point, who's making fun of who is literally got very blury.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 98 of 142, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

the perfect computer is in the eye of the beholder

You mean like an Apple smart eye implant? Call it iEye. Or just i.

🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.