VOGONS

First post, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a driverless plug-and-play PS/2 mouse, idk what to do. I'm trying to play some Redneck Rampage, but I can not get the mouse to work in it. Also mouse support does not work for other DOS games. Help!

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:
Fujitsu Lifebook E330 - Working w/ Win95
Fujitsu Lifebook C352 - Nonworking 🙁
HP Pavilion A520N - Working w/ WinXP
AST Ascentia M 5260X - Working w/ WinME
IBM ThinkPad 770 - Working w/ Win2K

Reply 2 of 9, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried forcing a mouse driver from something like MS-DOS 6.22? It can be buggy, but it generally works. You could also try grabbing a copy of old DOS-based MS-Works and see if the mouse on that works. I've never tried to use a mouse in rebooted DOS mode, so I've never really seen this problem for myself. Can you give out some of your general PC specs? If it's a virtual machine, I would say that it's just a problem with the VM. I've found that waiting to get the actual hardware is much better than trying to virtualize the OS you want to use.

Also, if it's a Pentium 4 or higher, I'd doubt that Windows 95 would work on it very well.

Where am I?

Reply 3 of 9, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
athlon-power wrote:

Have you tried forcing a mouse driver from something like MS-DOS 6.22? It can be buggy, but it generally works. You could also try grabbing a copy of old DOS-based MS-Works and see if the mouse on that works. I've never tried to use a mouse in rebooted DOS mode, so I've never really seen this problem for myself. Can you give out some of your general PC specs? If it's a virtual machine, I would say that it's just a problem with the VM. I've found that waiting to get the actual hardware is much better than trying to virtualize the OS you want to use.

Also, if it's a Pentium 4 or higher, I'd doubt that Windows 95 would work on it very well.

Where do I get the 6.22 mouse driver?

Also I'm using Win95 on a Fujitsu laptop from '98, 233MHz PII MMX, 64MB RAM, 3.2GB HDD

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:

Reply 4 of 9, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dickkickem wrote:

Also I'm using Win95 on a Fujitsu laptop from '98, 233MHz PII MMX, 64MB RAM, 3.2GB HDD

That's a nice laptop. Anyways, you'll need to get either a MS-DOS 6.22 boot diskette, or the installation diskettes. Winworld would be a good place to get the DOS install diskettes, and you can just use something like 7Zip to open the archive, and then open the disk images and copy files out of them like an archive. This probably isn't the best description, but it works. I also have some MS-DOS 6.0 diskettes I could image and send to you, if you want (there's not much of a difference, but the newer the DOS version, probably the better). I think there's an MS-DOS 6.22 boot diskette available on allbootdisks as well.

Once you get the image file(s) from whatever source you want, you'll be looking for a file called (I think) MOUSE.COM. You can just copy that to wherever you want, barring anywhere DOS mode can't access, of course, and run it. It shouldn't affect Windows, and if you're worried about it, the program is temporary, and only loads into RAM once you execute it, so you can just reboot it before going back into Windows mode and it won't do anything until the next time you run it.

Where am I?

Reply 5 of 9, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
athlon-power wrote:
dickkickem wrote:

That's a nice laptop. Anyways, you'll need to get either a MS-DOS 6.22 boot diskette, or the installation diskettes. Winworld would be a good place to get the DOS install diskettes, and you can just use something like 7Zip to open the archive, and then open the disk images and copy files out of them like an archive. This probably isn't the best description, but it works. I also have some MS-DOS 6.0 diskettes I could image and send to you, if you want (there's not much of a difference, but the newer the DOS version, probably the better). I think there's an MS-DOS 6.22 boot diskette available on allbootdisks as well.

Once you get the image file(s) from whatever source you want, you'll be looking for a file called (I think) MOUSE.COM. You can just copy that to wherever you want, barring anywhere DOS mode can't access, of course, and run it. It shouldn't affect Windows, and if you're worried about it, the program is temporary, and only loads into RAM once you execute it, so you can just reboot it before going back into Windows mode and it won't do anything until the next time you run it.

Got it to work, thanks man!

Last edited by dickkickem on 2018-12-18, 22:24. Edited 1 time in total.

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:

Reply 7 of 9, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I figured it was a DOS mouse driver issue. Sometimes it doesn't work fully, or it can be buggy, so be aware of that. It might have something to do with your laptop having an inbuilt trackpad/trackball/eraserhead mouse, and it may be seeing that one instead of a second mouse. This is DOS, after all. It tends to be a little particular in its operations.

Baoran wrote:

I think cutemouse driver would be better with a ps/2 mouse though...
http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/

That's probably a good idea. Like I said, the DOS driver can tend to be buggy, so that may be better for a permanent solution. It might be a good idea to disable whatever pointing device is built in, if you can, and then see if it works.

Where am I?

Reply 9 of 9, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

Long live cute mouse!

I was using ctmouse for a while, but it always had big sensitivity and pointer acceleration issues. MS mouse.exe really seems the smoothest to me. Especially SVGA point&click adventures with ctmouse feel kind of crappy.

For best results, you need the MS mouse driver installer, not just mouse.exe. The installer will install mousemgr.exe, which you can use to disable acceleration and adapt X/Y sensitivity way better than what ctmouse does. Yes, it takes like 30kb of memory, but it's worth every single bit.

For reference, I'm using driver version 9.01.