VOGONS

First post, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seriously, I've had more RAM failures in 2018 than the previous 23 years combined. This year's failures:

Radeon 3650 AGP
Quadro FX 3000 AGP
GeForce 6800 GT AGP
Stick of 512mb DDR 400
Stick of 1gb DDR2 800
Stick of 2gb DDR3 1333

Anybody else experiencing high memory failure rates this last year? Is it just me?

Reply 1 of 17, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had to buy 16GB ddr3 to replace 8gb I had in there previously that went bad, a few months ago.

Thankfully I could buy "AMD only ram" which was way cheaper than more generic ram 😁

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 2 of 17, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
doaks80 wrote:

Thankfully I could buy "AMD only ram" which was way cheaper than more generic ram 😁

Who? What?

Might I interest you in purchasing some freedom dollars? I assure you they're the free-est dollars you could ever invest in. If you prefer GOLD, I can help you there as well. PM me if you're interested. Your neighbors will be jealous. Trust me, bigly. You can count on me because I never lie, and I'm always right.

(Don't take off your shoes)

Reply 3 of 17, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KT7AGuy wrote:
Who? What? […]
Show full quote
doaks80 wrote:

Who? What?

Might I interest you in purchasing some freedom dollars? I assure you they're the free-est dollars you could ever invest in. If you prefer GOLD, I can help you there as well. PM me if you're interested. Your neighbors will be jealous. Trust me, bigly. You can count on me because I never lie, and I'm always right.

(Don't take off your shoes)

Really. Something about the number of ICs on each dimm...that generation of intel boards didn't support it. You can google it.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 5 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is true there is "and only" ram because intel chipsets do not support some ic density configuration.... It's like we are back 20 years 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 17, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've downsized my collection of hardware and in testing 2 trays of ram (almost 100 sticks), i've thrown out maybe 30 sticks because they were defective. No other piece of hardware (including motherboards and video cards) has anything remotely near the failure rate of memory in my experience

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 7 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

It is true there is "and only" ram because intel chipsets do not support some ic density configuration.... It's like we are back 20 years 🤣 🤣

True, but terms like "AMD only" are worse than misleading. They only apply to a certain generation of chipset and even then obscure what is actually going on. Instead RAM vendors should just specifiy density & organization of their DIMMs. Not completely sure what's up now (which I why the term irritates me), but back in the day it was off-spec stuff with 16Mx4 and 32Mx4 16-chip single sided (electrically, the DIMMs frequently had chips on both physical sides, just for extra confusion) configuration that Intel memory controllers refused to work with, whereas Via's slutty 'we swallow everything - slowly' loved it.

Same with "low density" and "high density" RAM; there was a time 256Mb chips were "high density". A year later they were low density. Just give the actual density, much, much better.

Reply 9 of 17, by Robert B

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an Epox EP-8RDA3I that has the infamous C1 error from time to time. I tested 30 ram sticks on it. Good thing I didnt throw them as 90% of them work well with zero errors on my ECS K7VTA 3.0.

I really need to recap the Epox board. I could've dumped some nice Corsair DDR with LED action.

Before you discard old parts please check that you have tried evey possibility.

Reply 11 of 17, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a stick of registered DDR2 memory that passes every memory check I've run on it, but which the computer BIOS says is faulty. ("Correctable error threshold exceeded"). Should I throw it out?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 12 of 17, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

I have a stick of registered DDR2 memory that passes every memory check I've run on it, but which the computer BIOS says is faulty. ("Correctable error threshold exceeded"). Should I throw it out?

I would at least try it on another motherboard if possible.

Reply 14 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

I guess this is the RAM equivalent of a SMART warning.

Sort of. ECC ram does parity scrubs. If a stick of RAM is generating statistically abnormal parity failures, it's important to know about it.

SMART warnings are more for the magneto-mechanical side of things.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15 of 17, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have any of the soldering wizards out there tried replacing memory chips on a video card? Sometimes I wish I could harvest faster chips from fried cards and put them on slower cards for a speed boost. Or on the 64-bit cards that have 2-4 chips missing.

Now that I think about it, if a video card has a defective RAM chip, I wonder if it could still run with that part disabled. Maybe flash it with the BIOS from a 64-bit version that only used half the memory bus to begin with...

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 16 of 17, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've discovered that a few of my DDR1 RAM sticks were bad earlier this year. I don't remember the brands that well, but I know they were 512MB DIMMs. One of them was from my eMac which thankfully got a RAM upgrade at that time.

Reply 17 of 17, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Make sure your RAM contacts are clean. I swab everything out of principal. I got a set of four matched 16MB SIMM on Ebay. They looked fine, but memtest would actually halt. Swabbed the edges, passed multiple times with no trouble.

My hardware always fails in waves. This year was hard drives, though I lost a couple Creative soundcards, including my AWE64, and a 125/133Mhz capable super Socket 7 motherboard.