VOGONS

First post, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I have aquired this laptop, since the soundcard is PnP Win 98 SE installed necessary drivers.

Sound works, but inly in first game i Play : for example I start doom and then i shut it off next game wont have any sound. Restarting solves the issue.

Any help is higly appriciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 1 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you using WDM drivers (ones built into Windows) ? If yes then things will not work right, you're supposed to use Yamaha provided VXD drivers. You can find them along with my custom DOS setup utility (SETYMF) here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/TKAYBSC/

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 7, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do use WDM via Windows 98 Dosbox. Not in real Dos mode.However I would love to use this toshiba as dos machine only.

Reply 3 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The WDM driver in Windows isn't gonna work with most DOS games in any reliable way. For actual DOS use you need to use SETUPSA from Yamaha's driver or my SETYMF. Few games sometimes do something after PnP init but the card isn't actually properly set up by the BIOS for anything besides letting PC speaker beeps to go through.

Reply 4 of 7, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote:

The WDM driver in Windows isn't gonna work with most DOS games in any reliable way. For actual DOS use you need to use SETUPSA from Yamaha's driver or my SETYMF. Few games sometimes do something after PnP init but the card isn't actually properly set up by the BIOS for anything besides letting PC speaker beeps to go through.

Where can I get SETUPSA ?

Reply 5 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is inside Yamaha's drivers. Here's it extracted from them : http://www.tmeeco.eu/TKAYBSC/Win9x/SETUPSA/

Reply 6 of 7, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote:

It is inside Yamaha's drivers. Here's it extracted from them : http://www.tmeeco.eu/TKAYBSC/Win9x/SETUPSA/

So after trying everything within the SETUPSA. Iam unable to get any sound of effects just music.

Any suggestions ?

Reply 7 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sound tests in SETUPSA were making sound (volumes were set right and everything was audible) ? In games you'll have to choose SBpro2.0, default settings are port 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1 (not sure if you changed those).
This is for pure DOS only, once you go to Windows and still use WDM driver you will not get anything useful going on, you need to use the Yamaha's VXD driver.