VOGONS

First post, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today, while trying to make some order in my collection, I found a tester card. It seems to be ISA (at least the connector fits perfecty in the first part of the ISA slot). The problem is that it has no bracket, so I have no idea what direction it should be installed. Which part should face up? If anyone knows please let me know.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    Filename
    002.JPG
    File size
    443.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 001.JPG
    Filename
    001.JPG
    File size
    525.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 6, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To me it looks like the 8 data lines (and some power) are going to the display. Those are pin 2-9 that would be towards the bracket, so the part with the resistors.

Since you are at risk of frying the card, I would get a second opinion though.

Reply 4 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The right side when board has components facing you is the one going toward the slot holes. Left side where the chip is has address lines and right end where the small components are the data lines.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 6, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look at the first pic you shared (back side of the card, the side with NO printed error codes information). From left, pin 1 and pin 10 connected together and also connected to all the other bits on the card with a WIDE line, which means it should be ground.

Look at the http://old.pinouts.ru/Slots/ISA_pinout.shtml, the pins in the ISA socket designated as B1 and B10 are defined as ground.

Problem solved! 😊

(virtual bracket is on the left side, looking at the first picture (Picture of the back side of the card)

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 6, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you all, I will try it soon, hopefully it won't burst into flames.

Last post helped a lot and it only confirmed what I suspected.
It makes sense that the card should face with the components up, almost all ISA devices are made like that. Also it it "readable" when installed in a assembled computer. it's much easier to look from top to bottom.